A New Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm digging around the googles, and surprisingly, given the descriptor, where it's from and it's properties - the most frequent match is Pacman.

Either my googling skills have got worse, or they're being very secretive.

Goomba

Not sure about that. they say that it flocs well. maybe 1272?

Now that would be awesome.

Once it is available locally might be worth splitting a batch in two and fermenting one with US05 and one with this new yeast and taste testing. That should isolate whether it is the same yeast or not at least!

Course, we could always pressure Ross to do the experiment for us..........just so he can add the correct description to the product.

I'm digging around the googles, and surprisingly, given the descriptor, where it's from and it's properties - the most frequent match is Pacman.
Who uses Pacman apart from Rogue?

Who uses Pacman apart from Rogue?

The descriptor on Danstar's site does say it's used commerically at "a number of breweries" (and let's face it, most businesses will exaggerate numbers slightly).

The only yeast I can find that consistently fits all the descriptions, including location and style - is pacman. Ferment complete in 4 days at 17 degrees, west coast, highly attenuative, highly flocculent, etc etc etc.

Trust me, doesn't make sense to me either, but that's all I can find.

Not a whisper of 1272 (bummer).

I'd love to give it a go in my American Wheats. I bought a vial of San Diego Super Yeast at the HB Conference in November but after a few generations it wasn't behaving itself so I'm back to US-05 with all its annoying little quirks. "Floc you *******, floc" <_<

That's why I normally use liquids in my Americans but Rosscoe was out at the time I bought the US-05 . How handy to have something dried on hand all the time. :icon_cheers:

Yeah, I'm having that same problem. I haven't checked it since I turned the ferm fridge on to CC it, but it was at 1.010 (from 1.063) when I dry hopped it, and still lots of bubbles on top. Left it for a few more days and then turned the fridge down to 4 degrees.

I don't ever recall having this much trouble getting it to flocc out after 1 weeks.

If they had a yeast with the same flavour (or lack) character, but actually dropped out, I'd be happy.

The next question is - will Ross (and our other noble retailers) be able to stock it and for how much?

Goomba

Yep,

I'm currently relatively happy with WY1272, flocs nicely... slightly fruitier than 56

Next on my list to try is Norwest

I'd like a no-esters Ale yeast that flocked like a trouper. US05 is a cloudy bitch. S04 is an estery bugger with a lazy streak.

Bring it on Danstar!

+1. Current AIPA was at 1.010 (from 1.063), when I checked it last, and still massively full of yeast. It's now CCing, and I'll gelatin it in the next day or so, but the problem is with it, to get it not to produce esters (yes, it can be done), it really needs fermenting at 14-15 degrees. Which takes a helluva long time (almost two weeks).

Notto is great at 14-15 degrees, fairly neutral ester-wise and quick and flocculent, but then it strips all the hop flavour and aroma away.

So a ester-free ale yeast, that was quick, didn't strip hoppiness from APA/AIPA and actually flocculated out, would be fantastic.

Otherwise, I'll just continue with US-05 and just grin and beer it.

Goomba

So, it looks as though it is only available in 500g bricks; will a local retailer do a re-pack for us perhaps?

So, it looks as though it is only available in 500g bricks; will a local retailer do a re-pack for us perhaps?
Not with the approval of the manufacturer or if they want to continue selling their products here.

I guess can be repacked but without a manufacturer label. AKA Craftbrewer American Ale.

Back