A New Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
feeback from those that have used this? I picked up a packet of it the other day for my next IPA

Cheers

Used BRY-97 in a Black IPA I just kegged.

I had failed to read up it was a slow starter, so panicked after no obvious fermentation indications within 36 hours, and pitched a US-05 (dry) on top. This may have skewed results.

The beer is clean, hoppy, and bright within 24 hours in the keg! I did cold-crash for 5 days, and gelatine, but usually with US-05 as the only yeast, I find it takes a couple of weeks to drop clear in the keg.

Will definitely be using this yeast again in an A/I PA.

Is it true it needs a 1g/L inoculation rate? I've read the data file and it does say 100g/100L = blahblah but doesn't actually specifically say the recommended pitching rate, nor does it list recommended temperatures (aside from "over 17ºC").

Just rehydrating this yeast atm and the data sheet says "no need to aerate the wort" seems a. Bit odd.. Don't think I can bring myself to just pitch without a solid whisk thrashing... Can't use the air pump atm, power outage... Grrr, wanted to brew today as well..

I've used it a couple of times...I like it.. Dry and crisp...and dropped out clean
I will mention that the pkt does say 1g /1L ..so I used two in a batch

Even US05 states those pitching rates if I remember correctly, will
make sure to give another whisk in a few hours and before I go to bed tonight.

Cheers

I really like this yeast, nice and clean, drops pretty clear. Would love to do a side-by-side with US05.

I'm using this for the first time today. I still aerate even when using dried yeast although there is a cornucopia of past threads that discusses this. Glad to read it is dry and crisp... I hope it is kind to hop profiles - I just crammed all of this years crop (dried) into the one batch.

hop bags.png

Have you allowed for losses to the hops mate? That looks to be a metric feckload of hops!!

Please save me a bottle :)

WarmBeer said:
I had failed to read up it was a slow starter.
Ive had similar results mate, the Data Sheet says it's a quick starter but thats not what I (and you) found.. rehydrated by the book and it took a good 24-36hrs I rekon but then kicked off really well, Id say medium volcanic, hasnt quite reached the gladwrap but only just. I had a look last night and was starting to drop back. So time for a reading and to dry hop that mother, not super fast like other yeasts Ive used but still looking forward to it.. My first Citra brew for the Year :icon_drool2:

Yeah, I've just used it for the first time and after rehydrating as per manufacturer's instructions I also got a 36hr-ish lag period. Went to bed one night wondering if it was stuffed and woke up to see over 4L of krausen. Krausen refused to drop for maybe a week then just disappeared.

good to know the 3 of us had similar results... does shoot a small hole in the manuf. blurb though, still if the results are good, and who knows, it may be faster on the 2 time round both in ferment and kick off.. will soon see.

:icon_cheers:

Is anybody making starters with this yeast? Does it improve lag time? Got a starter on stir plate at the moment will see how it goes

Starters aren't necessary for dry yeasts, as far as I understand it anyway.

Rehydated & pitched into a fake schwarzbier on Tuesday morning, set fridge to 16.5deg, took 48hrs to show signs of life. Now on day 4 and roaring along with a 2 inch krausen. Will report back with a taster.

JQOiL5v.jpg

Edited to rotate pic

Im actually a bit worried about my brew.. I (stupidly) threw it on the wrong brew, thought the cube I put in was my 1045 APA but in fact it was my 1068 AIPA...

:blink: I only realised yesterday when I went to take a reading and dry hop and the SG was 1036... lol (subsequently looked at the brewing sheet on the fridge)

underpitch? quite possibly... being 5-6 days since I pitched, Im tempted to see how it goes.

Hey Yob,

That's not like you to make a mix-up like that. A little too much heavily hop ale while brewing, maybe?

The IPA in Keg one is quite delicious.. the APA in Keg 2 is really starting to taste pretty damn fine too.. you can see my problem... :lol:

now theres a thiught... I wonder how keg 3 is doing :ph34r:

Can't play favorites, Yob.

An update on the above, its been a slow journey but can't really blame the yeast, took a sample last night hand its down to 1012, it did slow around 1020 so I fed it 75g of dex and that seemed to help. Brew has been double dry hopped and is, as far as I'm concerned, sensational.

Havnt worked it out yet but 1068 to 1012 from a single pack is IMO pretty good, can't detect anything out of place so will definitely use this one again.

Cheers.

Back