A New Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So did we ever figure out exactly what this yeast is?

Also, 500g for $4.50? :huh:

I guarantee u that price/pic is a screw up. No way is it 500g for $4.50. It would coat more than that to shop it here. I bet it's for a Normal size packet. False advertising.
Did you really think anyone would believe they would get 500g for $4.50?
Come on, we all know how much yeast generally costs.

Did you really think anyone would believe they would get 500g for $4.50?
Come on, we all know how much yeast generally costs.
It doesn't matter. They aren't a supermarket so it's bit 'offer to treat'.
I personally don't care either way.
Besides if it were like package I'd be all over it. I love pacman.

Its is quite obvious you are not going to get 1/2 KG for $4.5 and as citymorque2 said they are not a supermarket.

I will have to put down another APA and see what it actually tastes like. The description only tells me its a easy to use quality product.

Very interesting.... Might have to grab some and try it in Nick JD's American Amber Ale recipe, might be good!!

Bought some today...
Have a cube of IPA waiting on the ferment fridge....
I said to Chris that it prob wont be as crisp as US-05 and he said " how did you know ? I just read that about it"
Bloody lucky guess ;)
Shall let you all know in a month , what it's like !
Oh...and $4.50 for a regular small pkt
F

I went into G&G two weeks ago to pick up some grain and walked out with an IPA FWK and this new yeast from Danstar...filling up kegs for xmas!

I rehydrated as per the instructions on their website and after 36 hours there was really no sign of fermentation yet (read:no airlock activity and no krausen)... then.... BAM!!! it went berserk and seemed to be all done on 4 or 5 days. The OG of the wort was 1.062 and my refractometer currently reads 1.026 which Beersmith tells me is a FG of 1.004!!! Granted I don't know the recipe of G&G's IPA but damn that seems a bit too low doesn't it?? I'm not complaining though, I quite like a dry finish to a big beer (which is now a bigger beer than I thought at ~7%) It does seem to have stripped a little bit of the hop flavour and bitterness though!

Moosebeer - How many packs did you use in the IPA?

I have read some reports of slow starting but I am putting these down to underpithing.
Recommended rate is 1gm/L and rehydrate for best results.
I have sold this to a few brewers since it came in a week or two ago and am awaiting reports/samples.
One who bought some is a pro brewer who was helping a beginner with his first AG brew. An Aussie IPA style brew. He is pretty anal about pitching rates and used 4 packs in a 45L batch and reported that it started well and fermented quickly.
We await the finished product before reporting on flavour profile.
I realise 2 packs in a batch puts it in the same price range as Wyeast but convenience and ease of use is still a factor for many.

Interested to hear others opinions on this yeast as well as the dry Belle Saison yeast that is due any time.
Cheers
Nige

Hey Nige, I didn't even bother to think about pitching rates! Being a dry yeast I just assumed it was one pack for ~20-22L. I used one pack into 18L, so I guess I really could have gone for 2 packs in the end. I'll have to try that out and see for next time!

I recently tried it an my experience was different to most

I hydrated and dumped it into 27L of Scottish 60 Shilling.
OG was 1036 fermentation was set at 18 degrees.

It took a solid 9 days to drop 27 gravity points to 1009
The yeast fell out of suspension rapidly when cold conditioned and formed a compact cake. The resulting beer was very clear without the used of any clarifing agents.

I found in this instance that the beer produced was very malt forward, and the hops were muted or at best very subtle.
Of course that could just be a reflection on the recipe.

It was pretty falvour neutral.

I have a few packets of BRY-98 and was thinking of putting this down (or something similar depending on LHBs grain supply) on Thursday.

Please let me know what you think. Ripoff of DrSmurto's Golden Ale with more late hops (using hops I have on hand).

Recipe: Rolling Armadillo APA
Brewer: Punkalflufen
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (??.??)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 33.88 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.82 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Bottling Volume: 19.30 l
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 15.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 60.0 %
0.85 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2 17.0 %
0.85 kg Wheat Malt (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 17.0 %
0.30 kg Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 4 6.0 %
15.00 g Amarillo Gold 10.1% [10.10 %] - Boil 45. Hop 5 16.3 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
20.00 g Cascade 6.2% [6.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 7.2 IBUs
15.00 g Amarillo Gold 10.1% [10.10 %] - Boil 15. Hop 8 8.8 IBUs
20.00 g Amarillo Gold 10.1% [10.10 %] - Boil 0.0 Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
10.00 g Cascade 6.2% [6.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg American West Coast Yeast (LALLEMAND #BR Yeast 11 -
20.00 g Cascade 6.2% [6.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temper Step Time
Saccharification Add 36.94 l of water at 70.8 C 67.4 C 75 min
Mash Out Add -0.00 l of water and heat to 7 77.0 C 10 min

I posted the following on the local forum this afternoon.
Affiliation noted- I do sell the yeast, I also sell US-05 and happy to sell either one so not biased to one or the other.
Beer was pretty close to Ross's Summer Ale recipe from the db.

Kegged the Summer Ale and going through a few while brewing and packing orders today.
Finished right on expected SG of 1.009.
Kegged straight from crash cilling in primary fermenter.
Not bright by any means but only in the keg for a few hours. Will have to see how it clears over the next few days.
As Kieren has said, this yeast hung around on top of the beer and didn't drop until chilled although the beer underneath was quite clear.
Can't say I notice a lack of malt, Maris Otter is definitely there and mouthfeel is pretty good.
Bitterness as expected from straight NS. Flavour there but only 20 grams at 20 so could use more maybe.
NS aroma is definitely there even though this beer was no chilled.
My verdict..
As a dry yeast this did the job and I won't hesitate to use it again.
Clearer than US05 in the same beer, hops unaffected.
'Clean' no real esters, much like US05
I'll use this again.

One thing to be aware of though, it is slow to show visible signs of fermentation so if you are of a nervous disposition may give you some issues. From hydro tests though I can say this was going before krausen formed on the surface.
I gladwrap so can't tell you if it would make your airlock bubble.

Cheers
Nige

was going to buy this from Dave @ Greensborough today as I noticed it in his fridge, but thought I'd read up on it first... will give it a go over US05 on my next APA.

Anyone else notice how dark this is compared to US05? Kinda like milo.

dark.jpg

I am sure it means nothing, but seemed odd to me.

Latest posts

Back