A need for a good quality inexpensive beer filtration system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roosterboy

Reaction score
I've used the water purification systems ie cartridge filters , they're not great and you waste alot of beer.
The wine filters look good but expensive . Has anyone found a better system that will filter beer alot faster than the gravity filters, won't leak or have a significant dead volume and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to use.
Thanks
Roosterboy

I'd be keen to know if anyone has come up with any decent "Ghetto Filters" - not keen on $100+ but would like a clearer beer.

Gelatine? Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted but the end result is a very clear beer (which is what I'm assuming you want). Having been down the filtration route, with mixed results (not to mention the copious amounts of dicking around cleaning and sanitising filters, lost beer, etc), using gelatine achieves what I want in my beer.

I think that is the type he is referring to.

If you can cold crash i would just do that. I have never filtered and haven't used gelatin in a few years. If you have a good fermentation the beer should clear without the use of a filter

Cervantes said:
I use one of these and push the beer through with CO2.

huez said:
I think that is the type he is referring to.
I don't get much waste beer using this. The CO2 pushes it all out of the filter bowl into the keg.

But to be fair, the last couple of batches I've used gelatine instead and haven't bothered filtering.

Edit: Spelling

I filtered a few times and it worked alright. Now I just fill a bottle, to get the yeast in the tap etc, before I transfer to the keg. Also, I have cut 3/4" off all the keg pickup tubes. Along with brewbbrite and CC of course. Let it carb and settle for two weeks and Bob is your uncle.

I never had any problems with the filter, but it seemed like too much effort to clean when I am only filtering 40 or 60 litres of beer.

Settle, and time, Lagering, otherwise trends look at cloudy beer?

Whats in those filters anyway? In a scientific chemical analysis?
I wouldn't want to push my beer through any sponge.

Thanks for all the answers guys.

I'll let this current beer run out an extra week in the FV and also try the gelatine before I go down the road of a filter.

I cold crashed my lager in the fermenter for one week after it had cleaned itself up. Bottled and then carbonated and it was very clear.

Just remember cold crash is 7 plus days to achieve a decently clear beer Gel day 2 of the crash, and if your not scared of a little more cleaning rack off primary before crashing.

Latest posts

Back