A minimalist kegging system?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temper

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A little while ago I bought a 6 kg CO2 cylinder ostensibly to make soda water, however it's a bit of overkill if I just use it for that and I can have a Cornelius keg for Christmas if I want, and it would be good if I could get it up and running to have a play with, with that in mind I would like to start with as minimal a system as possible, and would appreciate any advice on if I am going on the right path. This is what I have in mind at the moment:

19L Corny Keg
Co2 Regulator MkIII
Keg picnic tap
Keg connector gas - SS with barb
Keg connector beer - SS with barb
6 M beer/gas line - gas
6 M beer/gas line - beer

crimps for line???

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for any comment.

Can repurpose a pair of needlenose pliers for the crimp.

I'd probably get a good MM or Harris reg - buy once, cry once.

And a Non Return Valve - you don't want to have to rebuild a regulator because it gets beer in it.

Later on as you build a gas splitter for each keg and possibly a secondary regulator. But for the moment, it looks decent.

The picnic tap would work, but for a some extra cash I'd get the Stainless Pluto gun - I've been using one for about a year now - no complaints. Well made, looks and feels good, works well and easy to clean.
:cheers:

They do look the goods. :D I've always wanted a Pluto Gun.

However, I've had a few picnic taps over a few systems and $/pour quality, nothing beats it. If you do plan on upgrading, save the $$ to get some decent taps in the future.

TBH - I've had better pours from my picnic taps than my Perlicks. They look cheap and are pretty much disposable, but they are very very good.

12m of line sounds like a lot, can probably get away with 4-5m depending what internal diameter you have.

I would like to start with as minimal a system as possible
If you want minimal system you could make one with no chill cube just by fitting a gas post to the cap.

Basically the same as a UK homebrew pressure barrel like this one:

The UK barrels are stronger than a cube and usually have PRV set to 10psi (which you could also make) but a cube is fine so long as you don’t set your co2 pressure over about 20psi. The normal plastic taps are also fine and hold pressure if you pull them apart and seal them with a smear of Vaseline or keg lube.

I just bought a role of 4mm line and used that for the gas and beer lines. You only need about 1.5m of it for the beer line to balance the system rather than the multi metres you need for 5mm or 6mm line. It's a pain in the neck getting it on the barbs but less meterage of line to mess with.

I also bought some of the nylon Pluto guns from kegland, they are cheap and are so far working well.

If you want minimal system you could make one with no chill cube just by fitting a gas post to the cap.

The UK barrels are stronger than a cube and usually have PRV set to 10psi (which you could also make) but a cube is fine so long as you don’t set your co2 pressure over about 20psi. The normal plastic taps are also fine and hold pressure if you pull them apart and seal them with a smear of Vaseline or keg lube.
Never knew you could do this. Thanks for the tip!

As SE says the cubes work just as well, don't need a picnic tap or Pluto gun, the plastic tap on the cube will give you a just as good a pour as anything on the market. You could also naturally carbonate using sugar or dextrose, about 1/3 what the priming rate is for bottles.
002.JPG Transfer to secondary, equalise pressure and drink, don't even have to buy any gas.
003.JPG Cheers

Don’t know why plastic pressure barrels have never been (as far as I’m aware) sold here. Such a cheap and simple way to get straight in to kegging . They were cheap enough new at LHBS but I also used to pick them up at car boot sales for one or two pounds.

2.5m for each beer line 5mm diameter, you won't need clamps on the hoses. Get proper beer line (the opaque stuff not the clear vinyl tube).

Blimey! That IS minimalist. I wouldn't mind having a crack at that even if I do eventually go the whole hog.

Would something like this do the job? Or is it necessary to get something with a pressure rating?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/icon-plastics-25l-blue-tint-water-storage-drum-with-bung_p3240532

As SE says the cubes work just as well, don't need a picnic tap or Pluto gun, the plastic tap on the cube will give you a just as good a pour as anything on the market. You could also naturally carbonate using sugar or dextrose, about 1/3 what the priming rate is for bottles.
View attachment 114459 Transfer to secondary, equalise pressure and drink, don't even have to buy any gas.
View attachment 114458 Cheers

I am intrigued with your setup there - it appeals to my Frankenstein's laboratory mentality.
Is there anymore information for that (or something similar)? Any keyword(s) you can give me for a google?

I must admit, as I have been bottling my beer, it has struck me that it should be possible to do it in what amounts to one great big bottle.

Would something like this do the job? Or is it necessary to get something with a pressure rating?
I imagine the valve cap would only be necessary if you are using Co2. I'm quite sure priming sugar would work just as well. Loosen the cap when pouring a glass and chuck in 10gm sugar each day you use it. I'll wait till winter to try this though, don't really feel like flat, warm beer in hot weather.

I am intrigued with your setup there - it appeals to my Frankenstein's laboratory mentality.
Is there anymore information for that (or something similar)? Any keyword(s) you can give me for a google?

I must admit, as I have been bottling my beer, it has struck me that it should be possible to do it in what amounts to one great big bottle.
It is possible to make it a little more complicated, using a gauge and PRV but not necessary, if you haven't got the means of adapting a spanner to fit the barb fitting on the top of the cube.
Fit a barb fitting on top of the caps of both primary and secondary, vent the secondary through the tap on the bottom, close the tap when ferment starting to slow down, depending on the yeast about 2 1/2 to 3 days. have a John Guest fitting between the primary and secondary caps, put in the off position when you close the tap on the secondary, this will help the yeast drop out. When its finished just transfer between the two taps, remembering to open the John Guest tap at the top.
It couldn't be anymore simple.
I have pressurised the heavy duty cubes (People in Plastic) to 26 PSI.

001.JPG

My first attempt closed it off waaay to early.:)

There is info and pictures posted sporadically throughout this forum but not sure how you would search for them. There is an old thread here https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/carbing-conditioning-in-a-cube-before-keg.70056/ with pictures and where we discussed it years ago when I first mentioned the method but the idea wasn’t received very well by a few at the time.

Back then it was common for threads to be reduced to chaos so you’ll have to skip over a few OTT posts.

How are you going to chill the keg, do you have an old fridge? Remember the beer carbonates better when the beer is cold, below 6 degrees. I normally leave my keg in the fridge overnight before gassing.

I do mine in a cool room but it can be put into the fridge, as it is easier to pressurise gas than it is liquid the co2 under pressure will dissolve into the beer. As the temperature goes down the more co2 will enter the beer.

Latest posts

Back