A massive hello from the UK :-)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxnorton

Reaction score
Hello all,
One of the guys suggested I have a look on your great forum and get more knowledge into my tiny little head :D
I was away from home brewing for over 25 years and within a month of being back I have bottled 2 x extract kits, King Keg 1 x bitter kit and last Wednesday delved into my first AG brew, a Pale ale.
I have moved to the North Northumberland-Scottish border area and find great links to the distillery and home brewing history of the Border Reavers, the Monks with Lindisfarne Mead.
On my first AG brew I was quietly surprised how everything with timings,volumes etc fell into place considering I had only just purchased the set up a few days prior.
However I feel my future AG brews are going to present more difficult challenges, errors and surprises, hence having patience and researching as much as I can is the way ahead for me.
"crawl before I can walk!" Is how I approach it.
I have started into Cornie set up and got a kegerator project very slowly in motion.
I am looking forward to reading up on new skills,tips and new technologies.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
ATB
Brian

Welcome Brian,

You've come to the right place for lots of terrific ideas, info, & projects, and a great way to while away the long winter nights ahead with bleary eyes in front of the computer screen.

You'll have to post some pics of your builds as you go and a few of the countryside from your part of the world would be great to see as well :icon_cheers:

Grew up in Northumberland, (West Denton before it got hijacked into Newcastle) shocking place, as you can see it's totally overcrowded, full of Poms standing shoulder to shoulder gasping for air, and the place is rotten with old falling down castles and Abbeys with no commercial value whatsoever, Roman ruins and vast swathes of Maris Otter that can be totally monotonous.

northumberland.jpg

Welcome Brian, using Simpsons MO at the moment myself :beerbang:

Hello Guys,
thanks for the warm welcome :)
West Denton!! Blummin Ell been a loto fo years since I was there...back in the old MOD & Ska days..The gang we battled with were call the West Denton Boot Boys HA HA
Now living on the foot Hills of the Cheviots is something else :D
My AG setup at the mo, bought it the other week and saw my first AG brew last Wednesday.
Now planning a Milk Choc Stout for Xmas.
been looking on here and a vast amount of expert knowledge here GREAT!
catch you all soon.
ATB
Brian

AG kit 13-11-13.JPG

Denton Boot Boys, that would have been Ray Hopper's mob? Apparently he's now an obese retired bouncer with severe cardiac problems. B)

Brewery looks the goods. I'd guess with the water temperature that immersion chiller would drag the wort down in a couple of minutes.

Hereabouts people often take "cold" showers that aren't really what you would call cold.

If you ever come across a recipe for Camerons Strongarm I'd be interested.

Hi Brian

Like your brew setup, you mention you had only just purchased the set up a few days prior to your first AG. Did you buy the rig ready assembled or buy the bits and bobs separate and build it yourself? I’m just wondering if these are sold in UK LHBS these days.

I started brewing AG in the UK (but learn't how to brew properly after I moved to OZ) with a plastic single vessel electric Bruheat boiler that looked similar to your HLT. Plastic kettles are not available in LHBS here and are generally frowned upon and referred to as the bucket-o-death for some reason.

You also mention you use a King Keg, they aren’t available here ether. I used the King Keg but found it a real pain as the float would pop off and the tube sink to the bottom and suck yeast. How do you find yours? I went back to the basic bottom tap pressure barrels.

Cheers Sean

Hi Brian and Welcome,
I was born in Corbridge Hexham and lived at Whitley Bay moved to New Zealand at an early age and then on to Oz just starting to make a set up for pressure casks so I am looking for a bit of knowledge in that department.

Bribie G said:
Denton Boot Boys, that would have been Ray Hopper's mob? Apparently he's now an obese retired bouncer with severe cardiac problems. B)

Brewery looks the goods. I'd guess with the water temperature that immersion chiller would drag the wort down in a couple of minutes.

Hereabouts people often take "cold" showers that aren't really what you would call cold.

S.E said:
Hi Brian

Like your brew setup, you mention you had only just purchased the set up a few days prior to your first AG. Did you buy the rig ready assembled or buy the bits and bobs separate and build it yourself? I’m just wondering if these are sold in UK LHBS these days.

I started brewing AG in the UK (but learn't how to brew properly after I moved to OZ) with a plastic single vessel electric Bruheat boiler that looked similar to your HLT. Plastic kettles are not available in LHBS here and are generally frowned upon and referred to as the bucket-o-death for some reason.

You also mention you use a King Keg, they aren’t available here ether. I used the King Keg but found it a real pain as the float would pop off and the tube sink to the bottom and suck yeast. How do you find yours? I went back to the basic bottom tap pressure barrels.

Cheers Sean

wide eyed and legless said:
Hi Brian and Welcome,
I was born in Corbridge Hexham and lived at Whitley Bay moved to New Zealand at an early age and then on to Oz just starting to make a set up for pressure casks so I am looking for a bit of knowledge in that department.
Hallow Lads,
I'll have a butchers over here for that Camerons Strongarm and ask the fellaz.Good old memories of West Denton eh! mind you I was only a young teeneager back then lol

Sean,
I bought the kit fully essembled, the lad had spent quite a few £'s on getting them done, and for my only doing the one brew I am chuffed to bits.
I've only used the king Keg this once m8, heard a few horror stories about them and as I have bottom tap I am just gonna see how it pans out.
Waiting for my CO2 bottlwe to come through so I can set my Cornies up ready for my AG1 when she is ready.

marra,
Hexham is one of my favourite places, (even though its POSH as!) I've got no knowledge of pressure kegs other than what I have now.
If there is anything I can do for you's this side of the Pond let me know guys.
Catchya al soon...away Shopping in the TOON ;-)
ATB
Bri

Bribie G said:

mate,
as i'm about to nip out shopping I very quickly saw this recipe.
I will ask the lads over here for any variations pal.

Camerons Strongarm - 25 litres
OG 1042 ABV 4% 52 units colour 32 EBU
25 litre batch

MARRIS OTTER PALE MALT 3400 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 563 gms
SUGAR 346 gms IN THE BOILER

HOPS Boil time 90 minutes

CHALLENGER 27 gms
GOLDINGS 11 gms
FUGGLES 12 gms

catchya ron marra.
ATB
Bri

Our lasses Craptop is still playing up and its doing my head in?
Any Good?
ATB
Bri

I miss the uk ales. This is the main reason I am brewing again. I am from Edinburgh. My local pub there won the CAMRA pub of the year some time back. John Leslies. Miss that pub!
Orkney dark Island was one of my favorites.
I would say welcome but I have only been here since this morning!

Hello Guys,
Ive just arrived back home after a week away and pretty exited as my ingredients for my next AG No. 2 is here.
Thanks for the welcome.
ATB
Bri

Back