A Heavy And A Light

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
Hi, I was just thinking about it and was wondering if you could make 2 brews from the one amount of grains.

for example.

You mash 5 kgs of pilsner malt (to keep it simple) and sparge etc to get a final volume of 20 litres after boil. (about 5%)

Then once this brew is on the boil you then re-sparge the same grains to get another 20 litres making a mid/lighter brew. (maybe 2.5%)

Would this work and has anyone tried it?

Cheers :party:

slugger,

I'm not sure its a good idea to sparge the grains the second time as you will not only extract the remaining sugars from the grains but also a lot of other compounds such as tannins. I can't elaborate any more on what will be extracted, but i know over sparging the grains is a bad thing. I think if you really wanted to produce a light beer, you should sparge as normal then add water to make up the desired SG.

vlbaby.

No worries vlbaby, was only an idea, wasn't sure if it was possible or not.

Thanks

Slugger,

What you propose is a concept similar to a process called parti gyle brewing. I found a short article about it at brewingtechniques.com if you want to have a read.

Partigyle is definately viable, just requires a bit of planning and preparation. It is essentially batch sparging without mixing the two batch sparges (assuming a two step batch sparge)= two different OGs. Different variations can be be undertaken by the adding of different grain such as crystal and darker grain.

Will

I just had a read on how to brew and it was mentioned that this was a traditional metod used by the English.... I am very new to this however.

Check out : http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/index.html

It is in there somewhere.

I'm keen to try my first non canned brew.... tips welcome

Get your sanitation and temperature control perfected on kits.
Make sure you use good quality ingredients.
Move onto specialty steeping of grains and better yeasts.
Join your local brewclub.
Do some extract brews.
Start doing mini mashes.
Keep reading all the posts and as many of the back posts as you can, there is heaps and heaps of info stashed away.
Then think about all grain if you are still keen.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack with the info for Jazzafish.

Slugger, a couple of thoughts for you so you can do a few brews in one day.

Mash overnight, then while that brew is sparging and boiling, start the next brew mashing.

Do some parti gyle brewing. Have a google, I bet there is heaps of info out there on the web.

Read some of Doc's posts, truely inspirational. He manages to do four brews in one day and renovate the house at the same time.

pint of lager said:
Sorry for the thread hi-jack with the info for Jazzafish.

Slugger, a couple of thoughts for you so you can do a few brews in one day.

Mash overnight, then while that brew is sparging and boiling, start the next brew mashing.

Do some parti gyle brewing. Have a google, I bet there is heaps of info out there on the web.

Read some of Doc's posts, truely inspirational. He manages to do four brews in one day and renovate the house at the same time.
[post="67668"][/post]​

So your saying it is ok to mash the night before, leaving the water in with the grains over night, then sparging in the morning?

Sounds like a good time saver, how long could you leave the water and grains like this?

Would this maybe improve your efficiency in anyway if you normally mashed for 1 hour?

Would it matter that the water could be cold by morning?

Yes, it is ok to mash overnight. So long as your mashtun is well insulated, it won't drop by much. Did this quite a few times a couple of years ago.

If you have some spare blankets or a quilt, add this to your esky.

The water will not be cold the next morning, so long as everything is insulated. Ideally, it will stay above 55 deg C.

Don't know how long it is ok to leave it like this, but considering the risk to spoiling a brew, I wouldn't leave it more than 12 hours.

Thanks POL I think i will give this a go on friday night if I get the chance..

Back