A Guide to The Jamaican Beer Scene

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It isn't just Red Stripe then (shudder)?
Mark

More or less, but stouts are popular in Jamaica and most of the Caribbean since they were first exported to the islands in the early 1800s to support Irish immigrant workers in the region.

Currently, there are only two breweries in Jamaica producing about 13 different brews in total for a country of nearly 3 million, but the majority of beer sold is produced and sold out of the Red Stripe Plant in Kingston.

That's a pretty low brewery-per-capita ratio. Less than Australia's for sure.

I have always been fascinated by Malta, found all over the Caribbean and even Africa.
Basically just carbonated wort as an alternative to "Soda", found some in an African supermarket near me, even one of the local Asian markets around here has some - strangely all made in Holland - its a very funny world me thinks sometimes.
Mark

More or less, but stouts are popular in Jamaica and most of the Caribbean since they were first exported to the islands in the early 1800s to support Irish immigrant workers in the region.

Guinness extra stout was available in a lot of places when i was over there in 99, i mainly stuck to the red stripe (when i wasnt drinking rum which was cheaper than cola!!) , Banks in barbados was a nicer beer however. there was another beer called Carib from trinadad but was a more watery mexican style beer.

I wonder if you can get Jamaica Ginger Cake there, used to love that.
mcvities_jamaica_ginger_cake-1452786086.jpg

Honestly.
Visiting Jamica for the 'beer' is about as legit as visiting Columbia for the ******* Refajo..

Back