A Good Lager Please!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Two part question:

1) We all know and probably agree that the PILSENER URQUEL is the modern day top of the heap when it comes to Pilseners, so what is the classic Lager? I tried the Samuel Adams Boston Lager, did not think much of that same with Tooheys & CUB, there must be a clasic out there?

2) After i do this well documented Porter with the grain i want to do a nice Lager, so has anyone, (and i see your going for your notes now GMK), got a classic style Lager recipe with grains?

classic pale or dark lager?

Low or high gravity?

Malty or hoppy?

No ONE answer

Jovial Monk

i have a part mash lager that won silver in a comp last year i ma working out ag version

u should try a marzen or an octoberfest style be good or a helles the germans have good lagers

For a nice lager, try something like this:

100% pilsener grain for og 1.050
mash at 66-67 deg
hop to 30 ibus with hallertau
use some of your hallertua as FWH
add some hallertau as aroma and flavour
use a good lager yeast
lager as long as you can

sjw

the best lager i have done so far is a Munich Heles - it is a kit recipe - no garins.

As anAg beer i would try Docs JS Pilsner Recipe.

JM, i guess that why i asked what was a typically classic commercial lager that i could try first. But i think those Octoberfest lagers sound interesting. At this stage am love my stouts and dark heavy beers, i guess after drinking VB & Tooheys for 20 years that understandable. I just think i should take advantage of the cold winter and give a lager a chance. My ESB Czech Pils came out good. What is the COOPERS Heritage Lager like? The Sparkling ale i did was the best yet, so i would think there Lager would be just as good.

The Coopers Her. Lager + can malt come out OK, bit darker than you would think.

Personally, I would go for the Coopers Lager can, the one with the green lid, and use that as a base--clean pale malt extract hopped to only 21IBU

Then I would think about adding grain, mebbe 250g carapils and 50g caramunich to steep or how about a minimash with some Munich?

Then light dried extract to the gravity you want

Then hops, Hallertauer/Tettnang for a Pils or Saaz all the way for a Pilsener

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back