A french beer lover !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggOne

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a french beer lover and owner of a french website that speak about beer : Happy Beer Time.
I wanna live in Australia during 1 year and I look for informations about beer for be sure that Australia is the good destination.

I subscribed on your forum because I wanna have informations about Aussie Brewery.

How many breweries there is ?
The microbrewery phenomenon also grows up in Australia ?
Do you think that Australia is a good destination for a french beer lover ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

As in France, only a few major breweries that have the market tied up, brewing almost identical lagers, but a lot of microbreweries springing up, with a lot more ales being brewed nowadays. Some old French beer styles are becoming popular amongst home brewers here such as Saison and Biere de Garde.

No Valstar here, though, damn! Used to love walking through Paris with a litre of Valstar Red in a big brown paper bag :chug:

oui oui

Im not sure how many breweries there are, especially micro breweries but I think 'lots' would cover it.. Australia is a large place mate, maybe you could narrow your search to a state? They are splattered all over the place... It would be a fantastic trip to go round all the states visiting as many as you could.

Australia is a Nation of beer lovers (in my opinion) so I think it would be a great destination for someone from anywhere that loves beer.

Thanks for your answer !

Do you know the percentage of special beer producted in Aussie ?

I have no doubt that Australia is a Nation of beer lovers but I think in each country of the world, people love beer (except arab country).

So, why Australia is more a Nation of beer lover than others.

iggOne said:
Parce que nous habitons dans un pays chaud et nous avons un soif grand.

manticle said:
I protest. Some of our women make me very happy, especially in summer.
I wish I made them equally as happy. But I'm too busy perfecting beer to work out.

I jest, I guess it's a combination of our general way of life and our climate helps to a degree.. Especially I'm summer.

What's better than a bbq and a few beers in good company? (in the shade of a coolibah tree)

iggOne said:
By special do you mean craft beer? If so then 2% of beer sold in Australia.

iggOne said:
How many breweries there is ?
A quick search shows 136 breweries in Australia as at Dec 2012. There has also been a few more already this year so number is rough.

Yob said:
Australia is a Nation of beer lovers (in my opinion) so I think it would be a great destination for someone from anywhere that loves beer.
Hmmm...not sure I agree with that. The good beers require serious searching.

Don't expect anything like America, iggOne. Don't even expect a mini-USA. It's really quite shit here (brewery-wise).

Agree there isn't the coverage that the state's have but I rekon a decent itinerary could be made round Australia, probably do fishing up at feral.. Frikkin love their beer!

I'd put my money on NZ if I had to visit a country for their beer. More good beer per sq km. I reckon.

iggOne said:
Thanks for your answer !

I have no doubt that Australia is a Nation of beer lovers but I think in each country of the world, people love beer (except arab country).

We probably aren't. But it's a typical Australian attitude, if we love something, we must love it the most in the whole world! Be it sport, beer what have you.

Though the prices we pay for mostly average beer might leave you thinking we must have some sort of special love for it.

Thanks at all for your help !

@practicalfool: I am thinking about the New Zealend too. I think there is more craft beer than in Australia.

@Yob: Why because of women :D ?

@manticle: Congratulation for your french. I think it's better than my poor english.

@goldenchild: Special Beer is largest than craft beer. In Europe, we mean "special beer" for the beer exept the läger and pills.
My question is, are there a lot of IPA, Porter, Stout in Australia ?
Are there a large percentage of beer different of thirst beer like läger or pilsen ?

@bum: I know Australia is not a beer paradise like USA but I wanna know if there is a large difference between.
I think your answer tell me that there is it.

iggOne said:
I wanna know if there is a large difference between.
I think your answer tell me that there is it.
Things are a lot better than they used to be and there are some consistently good breweries but I don't know if there are enough of them to build a holiday around.

On the other hand, I know when I travel it is cool to just be able to try beers I couldn't ever get at home even if they aren't really good so maybe I'm not being entirely fair.

Don't be put off, it's a beatiful country to visit and every now and then you chance on some nice beer :)

i went back to the top and re-read all of iggOne's posts in the voice of Manu...apart from manticles', i didn't understand that

good luck on you beerlgrimage, iggOne

Back