A Few Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmC

Reaction score
I have had heaps of questions and i have generally found the answers searching on here or somewhere else on the internet but i have a few answers that i cant seem to find the full answer to.

In one of my fermenters i recently put down a Stout/Dark Ale toucan with 500g BE2 and 200g Medium Crystal, because i have been brewing at work i made a few rookie errors. Firstly i miscalculated the amount of hot/cold water and ended up pitching the yeast at 30C as boss was closing up, the second was that my brews are fermenting in a insulated room that usually sits and 18-22 degrees, however on this day the door was left open and my brew got to as high as 26-28 degrees. I now have it sitting in a big tub of cold water thats at 18 degrees. Smelling the fermenter gives a really "homebrewey" twang, sort of fruity, it has been in the fermenter since friday and the krausen has fallen significantly, still 3 inches on it though. I used both kit yeasts. My first question is will this fruity smell/taste mellow out either in secondary/bottle and is this brew worth cold chilling?

My second question is in regards to aerating wort. As i have been brewing at work i have been bringing my beer home to bottle, on this occasion however i was going to throw it in the fridge for a few days to see if that helps clear the beer and taste, i have already transferred to secondary and the hydro reading was 1005 today so i think its pretty much done but wanted to cold chill to see how it went. Living in NQ our roads have recently been plagued with potholes, and in some parts it covers the whole road, by the end of it my brew had about 1-2cm of bubbles in each secondary vessel from the bumpy ride. Is this considered aerating/and or what will this cause?

My Last questions is that today i put in my second fermenter an Coopers English Bitter with 1kg Light Dry Malt and 250g dex. As i was trying to dissolve the can of goop and LDM i noticed that a lot of my malt was clumping together and not dissolving, turning into big chunks of rubbery plastic is how i would describe it, what would this be caused by/and or is this bad? It has not happened to any of my brews previously using LDME.

Cheers, TmC

IMO it cant hurt to cold chill any brew...the taste/smell may settle, but chances are you will have off flavours from the high temps.

Aerating is more important prior to pitching yeast, after that most will tell you to keep oxygen away from your brew. Put your secondary in the fridge for 4-5 days and bottle, shouldnt be a problem.

with LDM put it into your fermenter first, then add some water..boiling...about 1-2 litres, then swirl the fermenter till its disoved, works a treat.
any other way and it tends to 'ball up'.
hope this helps

Ok thanks for that, i think mine balled up because i tried to pour it on top of the goop. I think i will just bottle the stout anyway as i was going to throw it up the back of the stairs anyway. Might open one up next winter if i get stuck.

At least it was a stout - if any beer will hide homebrew twang/fusels/high temp nasties, it'll be a stout. Maybe chuck a handful of good hops in there, and leave it for a while - you might end up making something good, by accident.

Goomba

At least it was a stout - if any beer will hide homebrew twang/fusels/high temp nasties, it'll be a stout. Maybe chuck a handful of good hops in there, and leave it for a while - you might end up making something good, by accident.

Goomba

I had a look at what hops to use and most people reckon fuggles or goldings, my hbs has them in teabags but after buying hops in 90gm bags i wont buy them any more. The only hops which i would even consider throwing in were cluster and maybe POR.

I had a look at what hops to use and most people reckon fuggles or goldings, my hbs has them in teabags but after buying hops in 90gm bags i wont buy them any more. The only hops which i would even consider throwing in were cluster and maybe POR.

Fuggles, Styrian Goldings, EKG, First Gold, Bobek - will all be good and in style.

If I had a stuffed batch of stout and wanted to chuck something in there as an experiment, it'd be Galaxy, Riwaka, Moteuka, Pacifica, Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Amarillo or something of that nature. Hey, a few bucks and a stuffed batch of beer isn't much to pay for the hell of the exercise.

Goomba

I have some new secondary vessels so i might split them up into 10 L batches and mix it up, make a fruity stout and a bitter stout. Amarillo and Cluster im thinking.

I have some new secondary vessels so i might split them up into 10 L batches and mix it up, make a fruity stout and a bitter stout. Amarillo and Cluster im thinking.

Why not.

Get some plastic sealing bags (and I also use a huggies wipes tub that's been used) and put the rest in the freezer. I think most brewers that have been at this caper for a while have a nice supply of "leftovers" - sometimes you just whack together a cheap pale ale with leftovers.

Not a cheap way to experiment (2 bags or more of hops) but some batch of beer down the track will be pretty damn cheap. Sort of false economy at the other end, but good for a convenient, quick brewday.

Goomba

Yeah i only just found out that my hops shouldn't be stored at room temps :eek:

Yeah i only just found out that my hops shouldn't be stored at room temps :eek:

No biggie - all the mistakes we make.

My missus has labelled the empty wipes tub "brew stuff", it sits at the back of the freezer, has about 7 or 8 half used bags of different hops, and a couple of extra packets of yeast (CB had 2x packs only of the variety I wanted at that time).

Wait until you AG. Smash (single malt and single hops) are a fantastic way of really understanding hops, and a great way to increase leftovers, and thus have an excuse for a hyper-hopped pale ale or amber ale.

Goomba

I currently have them in zip locks. I have been looking at doing an AG brew but cant seem to find a simple recipe.

Try this link

It's a piece of cake - one malt (any pilsner will do) and one hop.

Mash lowish, notts or US 05 will do the trick. The easiest brew ever and damn tasty. Perfect for first BIAB (I think this was my 3rd BIAB AG).

Goomba

Wow thanks, i had a brief look before but couldn't find a simple one, have the amarillo and yeast so just gonna get some grain. Thanks again :)

I just keep mine in the foil roll them up and put in ziplock bags in the freezer.

use a SMASH as raja said. just buy your base malt and some hops and away you go. Just work out recipe in a desired software Id set efficiency to 65-70% for your first one and if your BIAB. My next one will be pils malt with saaz hops prob aim around 1050 OG and 25IBU nothing fancy just a nice crisp lager style.

TmC he used citra if you read the notes :p as citra and galaxy and few others are not in the data base

I just noticed that then :D I will work my way around it.

Before i order the grain, are there any other base malts i should get for future brews? (i have heard AG is a big step up from kits in regards to quality). I have about 750g of carapils and medium crystal left. I am going to have to go and visit the craftbrewer store next time im in bris, take the ute :D

well really depends what you brew if its more pale ales and lagers then pilsner is prob way to go you can add crystal to add colours and more flavours.

Cheers, i'll keep it simple for now ;)

Back