A Different Stc1000 Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
So I hooked up my 3rd STC1000 last night,

I'm getting better at it but how do others cut/trim the jiffy box to suit? i used a drill and jigsaw but it's a real PITA, the black plastic of the jiffy box seems to melt back together after the jigsaw blade's gone through... there must be a trick to cutting these things super easily and accurately? Out of 3 mounted in Jiffy boxes I don't have a single one where the STC faceplate is mounted perfectly square or flush.... and believe me i've tried all i can think of to cut these dammed jiffy boxes accurately...

I'm getting better at it but how do others cut/trim the jiffy box to suit? i used a drill and jigsaw but it's a real PITA, the black plastic of the jiffy box seems to melt back together after the jigsaw blade's gone through... there must be a trick to cutting these things super easily and accurately? Out of 3 mounted in Jiffy boxes I don't have a single one where the STC faceplate is mounted perfectly square or flush.... and believe me i've tried all i can think of to cut these dammed jiffy boxes accurately...
I've got one of those cheap dremel copies from Bunnings. It allows you to get the edges & corners all nice and neat.
As for the initial cutout, I just drilled a shitload of holes and used a hacksaw blade.
Jigsaw is a bit OTT, I reckon. But we're blokes and powertools are so hot right now. :D

If you are using a jigsaw you will have problems because the plastic is getting too hot when cutting.

Get yourself a Dremel tool and a set of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6pc-Mini-HSS-Ro...=item3ccc65957e
for cutting the hole
The hole will never be square if you haven't marked it out correctly in the first place.
I cut mine with the Dremel and a metal blade on a reasonably slow speed and then finish the hole with a flat medium file.
I hope this helps

Cheers

The easiest way is to mark out the rectangular hole, then drill out the box along the lines. After that use a file to get the box to the correct rectangular shape.

Most people have a drill and a file in their toolboxes.

It takes a bit of time to do it but the result will be professional

Doh! you know i have a dremel in the cupboard!... but it's a 'modern' tool i forget i have!....

those disc cutters look nasty... but nice, i want some, definitely safety goggles and shield with them for when they let go!

i'm confident i marked it square... it was the execution with the jigsaw that let me down!

Yeah jigsaws will do that.
Others have reccommended using a file.
Cut a smaller hole than you need and clean it up with a file. You can go slow and get a perfect neat edge with a file. Not a rough ******* file/rasp.

Dremel tools are great, i have one and use it a lot.

But, you might be surprised to find out how easy a stanley knife will go through one of those jiffy boxes.

Mark the rectangle, and use a steel ruler to continuously "score" the box, and you'll quite quickly get a nice mounting hole.

Multitool with plastic cutter. Does the neatest job I've seen.

Jigsaw worked for me fine, using a blade for cutting wood (not metal - metal cutting ones definately melt the plastic).

Doh! you know i have a dremel in the cupboard!... but it's a 'modern' tool i forget i have!....

those disc cutters look nasty... but nice, i want some, definitely safety goggles and shield with them for when they let go!

i'm confident i marked it square... it was the execution with the jigsaw that let me down!

Normal safety precautions are definately recommended.
I try to avoid running any Dremel tool at full speed, I run it only fast enough to do the job.
I worry about those carborundum cutting wheels flying to bits.
I dont think the metal ones would break cutting plastic but they get a bit of a vibration if you run 'em flat out. They are not recommended for metal.

Big Nath's Stanley knife sounds OK as well.

Cheers

I use a dremel with the disc tool. 4 quick cuts, push to pop out the rectangle. The stc1000 bezel covers up the rough corners. Then a few drill holes for the cables and you're done

The trick is measuring and scribing the cutout accurately

A jigsaw works perfectly for me. Just gotta go like the clappers so the hot blade doesn't spend enough time in one place to melt the plastic.

I found an instrument box in Jaycar. Needs no modification the STC-1000 fits in perfectly with the face showing and just two holes for the cord in the back.

Was $20.

I found an instrument box in Jaycar. Needs no modification the STC-1000 fits in perfectly with the face showing and just two holes for the cord in the back.

Was $20.

Got a link or pic of the box?

I just drilled a few holes around the corners then used a paring knife, which I sharpened just prior to starting. I've done it with a hacksaw too, but I found a sharp knife to be a lot easier.

Make a box out of paper mache, should be pretty easy to cut

Back