A Cooper's Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just reading an article in the latest Cooper's news about brewing a new beer. The author is a "highly qulaified brewer" and he has quite a bit to say about brewing lagers. At the bottom of the page is a teaser that says to read more about the brewing process in next month's issue and to look out for 2 new beers "hitting the bottle shops in December". Could we be looking at a Cooper's lager? They pretty much have the ale side of things covered. I suppose an IPA not out of the question but the article does mention Pilsen and noble European hops. Anyone have any inside knowledge?

i'd rather an IPA but i suppose it had to happen sooner or later.
I'm waiting with anticipation.
December is the lager drinking month.

I did my honours in a micro lab that did yeast research for coopers. I actually did my honours on Brettanomyces/Dekkera, but we did go to coopers for drinks often. Coopers microbiologists did his PhD in the lab where I was and he spoke about developing a lager and the yeast trials. I gave my 2cents worth on hopping. This was just over a year ago.

Kirem.

I just got back from a quick beer run.

Publican - Coopers are canning their Regency Light and the Draught.
Bottlo Dude - Coopers are getting Chuck Hahn in to do a premium lager and a new light.

Interesting. Time will tell.......

Coopers are getting Chuck Hahn in to do a premium lager and a new light.
I know Chuck has started both Hahn & Squires as independants but he does have close ties to LN. Surely Coopers must have 1 or 2 inhouse staff involved in the kits who could extend to creating the above ?

tangent said:
I just got back from a quick beer run.

Publican - Coopers are canning their Regency Light and the Draught.
Interesting. Time will tell.......
[post="84428"][/post]​
Woohoo. The Draught has only ever been good for taking up valuable fridge/tap space.

tangent said:
Bottlo Dude - Coopers are getting Chuck Hahn in to do a premium lager and a new light.
Brilliant news! Australia (or Austraya for the eastern state folk) needs more Premium Lager.

Had enough of this week... where's my beer
Steve

this is only from a very knowledgable publican and a bottlo bloke who probably thinks it's monday.

I wish Coopers the best of luck in any lager endeavours.

Sadly, on past experience, they need it.

Regency draught and light deserved to be canned - they must be amongst the worst beers on the Adelaide market.

Heritage - a lager style ale :blink: also deserves to be canned, and then dumped far out to sea (sorry to any offended environmentalists).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a Coopers Ale, but my knees tend to tremble at the thought of a new Coopers lager.

Regency draught and light, were once called "new" until Tooheys complained. Seems they were giving their "beer" a bad name :lol:

However, I do wish them luck.

awrabest, stu

I'm all for it if they can brew a good lager. If it is just another attempt to jump on the premium bandwagon (as it most likely is), it will be disappointing.

Coopers used to make "Coopers CLear" premium lager, which was also bottled as Pikes Oakbank beer. its wasnt bad, but you would think coopers would be looking a little further afield of another premium lager.

HI all,

We don't see any of the Cooper's draught line over here in the West. Even the Cooper's night I appended earlier in the year didn't make mention of them. Are they ashamed of them or what? Judging by the comments the SA crowd don't see all that impressed, still I would still like the opportunity to give them a try.

Back