A Complete Hacks Belgian Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i put on a small batch (12L) of what is supposed to be a Belgian ale on tuesday, pitched t58 yeast at 24 degrees, chilled down to 18 in the fridge, has been between 18 and 20 for the last two days. As an aside i hooked up a fridgemate yesterday so temp control won't be too much of an issue in future. The LHBS had sold out of pilsener grain, and had no pilsener malt, so lme was substituted, so is a bit darker than i would have liked. Anyway, i kow it's early days, but i just tasted a sample and it tastes like bananas! big time....have never made one of these, is this normal? it's sitting at 21 now, was planning on ramping up over the week. Any suggestions or explanations?

On an unrelated topic i just tasted the amber ale that was put down on Saturday evening, tastes very good so far, a bit bitter perhaps but i'm excited nonetheless!

without knowing what your recipe is we have no idea if thats what you should expect.

ferment belgian ales anywhere around 20C. ramp temp up for m,ore yeast characteristics. flavour characteristics will vary depending on ingredients and type of yeast used.

Wasn't aware that T-58 would impart banana flavours. A WB-06 or a Coopers yeast but not a T-58.

Just used this and its peppery and fruity but no banana. I brewed it in the vicinity of 21.5 though so maybe your higher temps gave you that big flavour. Have read of quite a few people that brew low with this one at around 17 degrees as they don't like the big flavour on it.

The fermentis site says not to go over 24 with 15-24 being the range of this yeast. Maybe you added too much LME with it being a small batch and that has given you some full on sweet fruit flavour? But would have to see the recipe to know.

Hopper.

the recipe was

2kgLME
.7kg cane sugar

10g Horizon @ 90 mins
5g Cascade @20 mins

t58 yeast pitched at 24 degrees, brought down to 18 degrees in under 6 hours

the hops were just what i had in the fridge, so yeah, not really true to style. I sort of scaled the recipe down from JZ's belgian golden strong ale with respect to the malt and sugar additions

oh yeah, og was 1.072

Back