A Catalan guy in Chatswood brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus_CAT

Reaction score
Hi people !

This is a Catalan guy from Barcelona who moved one year ago to this country. After having tasted mostly all of the Aussie craft beers from South Australia, Queensland and NSW now it's time to move into the home brew world.
I started in the easy way doing a DIY Coopers kit (Lager) last Sunday. I improved it today by adding in the fermentor some "hop tea" using 12g bag of Cascade. I have another bag to add directly to the tank but I think I will do that in a week or so.

I'm thinking about adding some Galaxy hops too as I would like a bit of passion fruit flavor too but I'm not sure if the combination of Cascade+Galaxy it's a good idea.

I would like to know somebody around Chatswood area to share a beer and a chat about beer etc... If you are interested please text me.

Cheers !!

Wouldn't be difficult to go through all the craft beers available in Chatswood :D

Hey Marcus, if you want some great advice and a good supplier, Dave's Home Brew is down the road from you in Miller St North Sydney. I've got a good mate in Chatswood and go down for a visit every few months, will have to meet up for a few jars next time.

Hi guys !

Not all of them but as I said MOSTLY of the ones I could find relatively easily in shops or markets.

And yes, it's not difficult to try ALL of the craft beers in Chatswood, unfortunately. But near from my job, in Pacific Hwy. (St. Leonards) there is a bottle shop with more than 250 beer to choose :)) and some of them are craft.

Thanks Bribie G, yesterday I went there to buy my hops. We can meet up the next time will be nice !!

Cheers !

sp0rk said:
All of the craft beers?
really?
Guy with English as a second language makes his first post introducing himself and you be a dick over the wording of a sentence.

Sets the scene I guess.

Thanks for being assumptive that I was being picky on his grammar
Maybe I was posing the probability that He hasn't had the chance to see all the great breweries in places most people haven't heard of
And maybe we can help Him see even more of what's out there
Pull your head in mate

Hola Marcus,

Cascade & Galaxy go together like peas and carrots. - very well.

The NSW annual pub crawl (which involves crawling from one craft beer bar to another) is happening next weekend. If you can make it, that would be a great opportunity to meet some fellow Sydney brewers.

Details here:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70921-nsw-annual-pub-crawl/

Otherwise, there's a brew club that meet up in the city every month. Either way, it's only 10 minutes on the train from Chatswood.

I expect you've been to the Bazaar Czech beer cafe at St Leonards? Good place to go if you get homesick for Euro things. Or maybe we shouldn't mention the Euro at the moment :p

Marcus_CAT said:
Hi guys !

Thanks Bribie G, yesterday I went there to buy my hops. We can meet up the next time will be nice !!

Cheers !
BribieG and I had a few beers a while back on one of his visits to Sydney. Count me in again BribieG (if all the eye candy wasnt too traumatic for you) next time youre down.
Always keen to have one or two with brewers, especially those from o/s
mckenry

Hi !

Thanks for the welcome !!
It sounds pretty interesting "The NSW annual pub crawl" I try to join it. It coud be a good possibility to meet some of you and taste some new beers too.
As I really enjoy the "passion fruit" flavour I will tray to add some galaxy in my first brew. Thanks for the advise phoneyhuh.
Yes Bribie G I´ve been there but I´m more interested in the local beers than the ones from o/s. But there are a very good ones !!

Thanks to be patient with my bad English. I promise you that after some good beers It is more fluent.

Cheers,

I am not from your area, but I speak Spanish as a second language, so if you need help with any concepts/words, just ask. Hope you are enjoying your time in Australia and more importantly, our beer! Cheers

sp0rk said:
Thanks for being assumptive that I was being picky on his grammar
Maybe I was posing the probability that He hasn't had the chance to see all the great breweries in places most people haven't heard of
And maybe we can help Him see even more of what's out there
Pull your head in mate
No, you were just being a knob. If you were saying "Maybe I was posing the probability that He hasn't had the chance to see all the great breweries in places most people haven't heard of" You would have said that.

Una cervesa, si us plau!

Worked in St Leonard's for 2 years, went to Bazaar for every farewell or team lunch. :)

If you fancy coming in to the city for a beer one Friday night I'd be keen.

Ken

browndog said:
No, you were just being a knob. If you were saying "Maybe I was posing the probability that He hasn't had the chance to see all the great breweries in places most people haven't heard of" You would have said that.
Or maybe I don't really get the nuances of inference and people didn't understand what I was (poorly) getting at
but you don't understand how my thought processes work, so I guess we'll never know...

Sorry if I've come off as a prick, but that is honestly not what i was trying to do

and as some suggestions for breweries you may not have heard of, try;
Black Duck Brewery
Little Brewing Co
The Bellingen Brewing Company - Who had all 3 of their beers in the top 100 Aussie craft beers this year (they don't bottle, so you'd need to come north)

Hey sp0rk, is that the Little Brewing Co in Port Macquarie? Their Wicked Elf Witbier is in my top 3 favourite beers.

Ken

Sure is, Their kolsch is quite good
Their Mad Abbot beers are supposed to be really good, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a bottle yet

Hey Marcus

Dave here. Good to see you made it here. Most of the locals are pretty friendly.

Remember, I'm just up the road in Hornsby and you're welcome to sit in on any of my brewdays.

Cheers
Dave

Love their beer. Did a brewery tour about 3 years ago. Tried both the Mad Abbot's (dubbel and tripel). Both nice beers but I prefer the Grimbergen Dubbel and Tripel if drinking that style.

Haven't tried the Kolsch. Must do.

Ken

Latest posts

Back