A Bock, Jm, Dicko, And Death By Co Fumes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Hmmmm I thought forklifts and cars ran on compressed natural gas? At a service station, the gas for our LPG bottles and that for cars comes out of different tanks.

In a caravan the LPG stove is on low pressure, using a lot less gas than our high pressure burners!

Hi Tom,
Without wanting to hi jack SJW's thread I think you are wrong with your understanding of LPG and CNG.

Most gas powered internal combustion engines run on LPG.
CNG is still in an experimental stage basically, and is limited by the availability of the equipment to fill the engines gas tank.

The reason for different filling points for BBQ gas over vehicle gas is that the BBQ gas has a cost factor built in for the labour content to fill it. BBQ gas is sold by weight.
If you looked at the cost per litre and compared the two then you will find that the BBQ gas is a lot more expensive than the vehicle LPG although it is the same gas.
There also maybe a tax factor built into the pricing as well.
Gas stoves in houses can either be Natural Gas ( if you have it ) or LPG.
Yes, a caravan stove would use less gas per hour than a "nasa" burner, but this has nothing to do with producing any carbon monoxide.
In my own home at this moment I am sitting about three metres from a flueless gas space heater that runs on LPG. This heater is approved for use inside homes.
We use this for heating during winter and none of us have had carbon monoxide poisoning.

BTW dicko, I do NOT boil in my shed but just outside it: burning propane releases lots of carbon monoxide!

There may be other safety issues in burning a naked flame within closed areas but with common sense as to what is around in the way of other flammables and by providing reasonable ventilation, you wont have a problem.

Cheers

Hmmm wow that runs against everything any brewer I know thinks. However, it is good news as it means I can boil inside the shed on days when it is absolutely pissing down!

JM

There is a lot of debate about auto LPG vs BBQ LPG, from what I have read on some other forums and newsgroups vechicle LPG can contain up to 50 percent butane. Your BBQ and burners will still burn fine on auto LPG it just gets dangerous if you use it in a enclosed area with poor ventilation. Auto LPG doesn't burn as clean in the BBQ/fridge/burner and produces carbon monoxide. BBQ are designed to run on propane not a butane propane mix.

Flueless gas heaters run off straight propane same as your gas fridges in caravans. As a kid our house was heated with a flueless propane gas heater and we suffered no ill effects.

The reason the Auto LPG contains butane is's the only way the gas companies can get rid of it.

well a house burnt down the other day in the eastern states i think when some on hooked up the bbq to the auto lpg tank must of been a bad gas leak

thought that happened in adelaide jaz.anyway i got a laugh out of the silly buggers.burning themselves and then the cops find they were growing dope. :blink:

:beer:
big d

Some farmers use Auto LPG tanks a portable gas tanks, they just lift them onto the back of a ute hide it under a tarp and drive to a servo when they need to refill them. :eek:

Back