A big hi-diddiley-ho to you all

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarefootBrews

Reaction score
Morning all, Just a shout out to say hi, newly registered member here in the early stages of this beer brewing journey. Onto my fifth brew as I type and hopefully I might learn plenty of tips and techniques here :)

Anyway one and all.... have a great day

Hello and welcome. What beer are you making?

Welcome BfB, all you need to do is ask and someone will know. The info is endless. Once I found the basic "have to do's"
1. Sanitation and sanitary practices
2. Temperature control
3. Yeast type and amount
4. Oxygen then no Oxygen.
5. Carbonation
6. Etc.
The next most important bit of advice I got ( and it is 100% correct) was, If you like what your brewing stick to it, you don't have to like what everyone else likes.
Good luck and happy brewing.

Right now, a smoked American Porter... Its happily bubbling away right now :) .... I am dabbling with the idea of some coconut flakes in secondary, have not made that call yet :)
This weekend is Imperial Pastry Stout weekend..... my favorite hahaha
Awesome, please update us on coconut flakes when you do. What's your ABV preference for the stout?

Awesome, please update us on coconut flakes when you do. What's your ABV preference for the stout?
Will do... have actually decided to split the porter.... Half for bottling, the other half to be split into a number of 2.5lt secondary kegs... So will throw different adjuncts into each (including the coconut flakes) and see what I win lol.
The pastry stout this time around should be around 8.8% ABV... The previous came out at around 10.2% ... Toning this one down a little to focus on the mouthfeels... Want to create that really thick and creamy sense

Will do... have actually decided to split the porter.... Half for bottling, the other half to be split into a number of 2.5lt secondary kegs... So will throw different adjuncts into each (including the coconut flakes) and see what I win lol.
The pastry stout this time around should be around 8.8% ABV... The previous came out at around 10.2% ... Toning this one down a little to focus on the mouthfeels... Want to create that really thick and creamy sense
That's great. Are coconut flakes sweetened?

Hi diddly ho neibourino I'm in outer Melbourne too, Dimo these days, nice to see a fellow Flanderist on the forum.

Not a fan of coconut or any other weird stuff in beer but did recently brew a special stout with a "secret" ingredient in a challenge with a brew friend it didn't turn out as I expected and we haven't compared them yet so I'm not revealing what I used.

Enjoy the forum, there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Hi diddly ho neibourino I'm in outer Melbourne too, Dimo these days, nice to see a fellow Flanderist on the forum.

Not a fan of coconut or any other weird stuff in beer but did recently brew a special stout with a "secret" ingredient in a challenge with a brew friend it didn't turn out as I expected and we haven't compared them yet so I'm not revealing what I used.

Enjoy the forum, there is a wealth of knowledge here.
Hey SHB, Been in the g'borough the last 16 years, know Dimo VERY well... now out in Doreen for shits and giggles
Coconut is one of my favs, so its a goer... And the mad scientist is wanting to go try some fresh stuff... I like creating layers and subtleties, so figuring out what does and does not work will all go into the notebook lol...

I wonder what the "secret ingredient" is... hope you gonna tell us :)

Actually thinking that I will do both in seperate secondaries... Have not worked with coconut before so best to get and idea of what works lol.... I will pre-roast the flakes regardless
What's the purpose of pre-roasting the coconut flakes?

Main purpose is to dry them a little more and remove as much of the coconut oils that still reside....
Coconut when roasted will produce a nice stronger aroma, is it more favorable?

Latest posts

Back