A Big Big Porter Copy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jovial_Monk said:
hmmm Morgans Amber is a good base

but why not steep say 350g choc malt and 150g black malt?

Steep overnight, strain add any extract to it, boil with whatever hops would be good

Jovial Monk
the more grain the better the beer!
I just rang up my local HBS to ask if he had the supplies for my next batch and we got talking about my porter i just did, and he said that 150grams of Black Malt was way way way way way toooooooooo much, and that it would be rough as guts for many many months. No one objected to your posting so what do u think?

Bah humbug to your LHBS guy.
200g black along with some chocolate is tasteable. He may have thought you used black roasted barley, but even then itd be fine...

I'll post the recipe from my recent Robust Porter when I get home tonight. It's damn nice and has 200g of Black Malt.

SJW,

You gotta remember that your LHBS guy is more than likely stating his own preferences. I brought in a Pale Ale, that I brewed, into my LHBS ("The Ultimate HBS" in Gosford), which I thought was a bit on the bland side and he spat it out saying that it was way too bitter. I've since realised that he only has a passing interest in brewing.

hmm yeah 150g black is not all that much

not sure why I suggested that, I reckon 450g choc, 50g roast barley is perfect for a modern porter

ya gotta wonder whether some HBS guys actually brew, or brew more than k+k!

Jovial Monk
PS the above ratio is in our Robust Porter pack and I remember someone late last year raving about how good it was

150g of black malt is not too much i don't think. I use around 200g and that leaves a great complexity along side the other malt. It sure is not rough as guts but more like smooth as silk.
My grist for a robust is basically
200g black,1 kg munich,350 cararoma,4.5 kg ale malt.

Go the black malt and get the brew store guy to try your beer, if he doesn't like it well he must be like most of the swill drinkers us home brewers come across and spit out some of the best beer known to man.

Jayse

OK, here's what went into the porter currently in my fermenter awaiting bottling.
Now, I don't recommend anyone brews this, let me make that clear, it's an experimental. I'm working on a recipe for a Baltic Porter and I want to see the difference varying amounts of roasted malts make while I wait for winter to kick in enough for me to ferment a lager in the basement. This is my second ale based experiment. While the first was really nice to drink, it was way too bland.

MiniMash:
1Kg JW Trad Ale Malt
1Kg JW Munich
300g Chocolate Malt
200g Crystal
100g Dark Munich
100g Black Malt
100g Roast Barley

Extract:
1.9Kg Light DME

25 Litres for OG 1.054

Hops:
20g Pride of Ringwood Flowers 10% 60 mins
15g E Kent Goldings 5.1% 30 mins
28.5IBU

Yeast:
Safale S-04

I just tried a sample 1/2 pint from the fermenter and it is a bit strong on roast flavour for a robust porter. About 1/2 way between say James Squire Porter and Coopers Best Extra Stout in terms of roasty flavours. Swapping the roasted barley for the same amount of black malt would make a perfectly fine Robust Porter.

For my Baltic Porter I reckon I'll go with this balance of roasted grains, a much higher OG (made up with extract) and of course a lager yeast. (Maybe more Munich and less Ale Malt too).

Anyway SJW, when did you pitch yeast on your porter? You should be able to report back if you think it's too roasted. After all, it's your beer :)

PostModern said:
Anyway SJW, when did you pitch yeast on your porter? You should be able to report back if you think it's too roasted. After all, it's your beer :)
i pitched the SAFALE S-04 On Saturday 19th JUNE. OG 1063.
Had a sample last night and it tastes fine, big but fine. Like yours it did not seem as big as the coopers special but had more balls than the JS Porter. I am fermenting this at between 17.5 & about 18.5, thats with the fish tank sensor taped to the outside of the fermenter and a stack of towels around it. I will rack after 7 days and should i stick in the fridge for CC or would that kill the S-04 yeast? or just leave racked for another week or so?

Leave it for a couple weeks in primary, then a week or two in secondary. I don't think dark beers need cc so much as paler styles. Just personal taste tho.

PostModern said:
Bah humbug to your LHBS guy.
I light of the advise he has given me about the grain in this brew what do u think about priming with 190 grams of Dried Malt Extract, he could not of ballsed that up too?

90g would be better

big flavorsome dark beer does not need a lot of fizz

PM, try adding some brown and amber malts next time you brew the Porter and mebbe up the OG to 1075 or so?

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
90g would be better

big flavorsome dark beer does not need a lot of fizz

PM, try adding some brown and amber malts next time you brew the Porter and mebbe up the OG to 1075 or so?

Jovial Monk
Big diff between the Jovial Monk and PM's recomendation. After all it is Dried Malt Extract. I would of used about 130g of Dextrose so at 75% fermentablity i thought 190g of DME was about on the money. I guess i just need to give it a crack.

Back