A Biab Brewday With Lots Of Pictures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tknice

Reaction score
Hey Aussie friends.. here are some pictures linked below of my 10 gallon BIAB process if you want to check it out. Sorry I dont have all of the metric conversions in there yet.

I recently moved to doing 10 gallon batches and I knew it would increase the amount of beer that we have available, but didn't realize how cool it would be to experiment. An example I've done so far is dry hopping one and not the other for a comparison (and it really is pretty amazing how different the two beers are).

I'm brewing our black ipa recipe next and half of the batch will go on tap and the other to a 6 month secondary with vanilla beans and bourbon. I've also though about brewing a lager and fermenting one at 45-50F degrees and the other at 66F. How different will they taste? Anyway.. good times.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/a-biab-brewday-tknice.html

Cheers!

-TK

Great :)

Some good ideas to :)

Nice post TKNice
Handles on the biab bag, like it, must get me one,
Why do you continually switch between carboys when transferring the wort and pitching the yeast, is there a scientific reason or is this an OCD thing? ;)

Nice post TKNice
Why do you continually switch between carboys when transferring the wort and pitching the yeast, is there a scientific reason or is this an OCD thing? ;)

wow that was awsome :)

Nice post TKNice
HAHA probably a little bit of both!

I just figure that after the whirlpool settles, filling one entire carboy from the bottom of the kettle and then another with the rest may not distribute everything evenly. I'm probably over thinking it.

fair enough,
I've got a few quirks myself,

Mate, That is an awesome how to for Biabers. I like your idea of using a rectangle tray to drain the bag. I find my bag is too big and it overflows down the side of the kettle so will be trying that out in my next brew.

And Brewcat is awesome too :D

Mate, That is an awesome how to for Biabers. I like your idea of using a rectangle tray to drain the bag. I find my bag is too big and it overflows down the side of the kettle so will be trying that out in my next brew.

And Brewcat is awesome too :D

yeah, since I've been using the tray, I don't get any down the sides of the kettle any more. Works great...definitely the best change I've made to my process in a while. It does help to have an extra person to slide the tray into place though, especially for large grain bills.

I love brewcat. His real name is Captain Jack but we call him Cody. We got him as a stray and he was found wandering the streets of Annapolis, Maryland as a kitten.

And your fermentation chamber is awesome too,

your the biggest brewgeek Ive ever seen.. :D

And your fermentation chamber is awesome too,

your the biggest brewgeek Ive ever seen.. :D
Thanks Truman.. My wife has been calling me one for a while so I figured I may as well make a site about it!

Hey Mate, do you have the details of the RV Carbon filter.. looks nice and compact. I have rain water but it sometimes gets a funky smell and debris so was thinking of getting some filtration for brews. That one of yours looks good.

Hey Mate, do you have the details of the RV Carbon filter.. looks nice and compact. I have rain water but it sometimes gets a funky smell and debris so was thinking of getting some filtration for brews. That one of yours looks good.
Sure.. this is the one I bought--It's 100 micron for $18.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Filt...h-Hose/14504321

It's simple to use and will run black for a few seconds the very first time you use it, then you're ready to go. Water tastes great and I think the PH was around 5 when I tested it.

Back