A Beer Accompaniment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fast ferment, that's been sitting there a few weeks probably more. Well long enough that she has stopped whinging about it :lol:

MashPaddler said:
Probably the longest response time to a question - I just stumbled across your response when reading through the thread again. I was previously on here as Newbee(r) and after a long break decided I needed to return with a new slightly less dicky name. The flavouring in the mango chilli jerky recipe was bang on, but the texture from the mango pulp was fibrous and took the edge off it. No pics sorry but I intend to do the recipe again with mango juice not fresh mango, to avoid the fibre issue. Also needed a bit more brown sugar and more chilli, to my liking it should have been a bit more in your face flavour bursting at the seems than it was. Would suggest marinating for 48 not 24 hours.
Hey almost two year wait time on response! Nice work. Re the fibrous thing - the fact that you pat the meat dry prior to putting it in the oven would remove most if not all of any fibrous type material. I have never really noticed anything like that - perhaps you need to use a riper mango? I always like more chilli but the wife doesn't. Look forward to hearing about how the up'ed version works - in about 2015!

Depends on the variety of mango. Some are very fiberous others have none.

Up herr during mango season you can tell which trees on the streets are fiberous because no one takes them.

Yeah wondered about that?! Mangoes I use are well ripe and all lovely pulp - more flavour than using juice especially as juice will be about 40% mango and the rest will be sugars and water.

I am a bit lucky up here. Heaps of mango, avacado and pecan trees.....and macadamia trees

I cant remember which mango varieties are stringy and which arny

Manju's Vegetable Samosas from Recipe to Riches on Channel 10 and Woolies. Very nice and not bland got a bit of a spicy hit.
I would buy again. Come in a pack of 8 but they are fairly small. Ideal snack in front of the tellie with your favourite beer go nicely with Hop Hog.

bradsbrew said:
Anyone used the high mountain jerky cure and seasoning?
I use a mixture of Jalapeno mix and Pepper and Garlic mix left overnight to cure then into the dehydrator. Delicious.

Just been reading through this old thread and wondered if anyone making Jerky in the decade since the first post had been poisoned by it yet?

Lots of doubters in the early posts. I'm glad I started making my own before reading those early posts. I may have been put off of a good thing.

I've been doing it for many years and nearly always a batch on hand, no food poisoning.

I have had to throw a couple of batches away. Back when I was using some of the commercial sauces and the non-heat dryer I got mold on 2 the batches. I'm guessing a combination of the sauces having a higher level of sugar, non heat, and high humidity levels in Qld allowing them to take too long to dry. It was white mold on both batches so most likely would had been safe to eat. I also cure meats in the same carport, where we welcome the white mold, so it could had just been a cross inoculation from them.

I love having a bit of cheese with other consumables with a beer, and lately been finding some nice ones at Aldi. Mind you, one of the french ones I got had me thinking that I was gonna have to fumigate/disinfect the fridge. Talk about de Ranke!

Deep-fried pigs ears are delicious. I also find that dried squid is also yum. Also peanuts and ikan bilis are good too.

Latest posts

Back