90 minute mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Let's Brew Beer

Let's Brew Beer!
Reaction score
Thought i'd smash out a hoppy IPA, as pipe-line is sadly lacking. Anyway as most stove-top brewers can identify with maintaining mash temperature is a PITA. wanted a reasonably dry IPA so aimed for a mash temp of 62C, doughed-in around 66-67C, then had a bugger of a time getting to temp and couldn't get past 59C. maintained that for the first 30 mins. then adopted the pot inside a pot method to try and ramp my temperature up a little. Unfortunantly that shot it to 66C, will probably be able to maintain that for the rest of the mash. My question is this, what flavours or problems can i expect with this differential in mash temperatures? or does this just simply count as a sacc. rest? cheers

It should work fine. Some brewers rise through all those temps deliberately. Some would waver through them doing biab were the grist is kind of compacted so temps may not be evenly spread through the grist etc. As far as I know it doesn't make any difference if temps rise, or declining through the Saccarification temps. I mash in an esky and sometimes leave it for hours or even overnight and the temp slowly declines through the Sacc temps.
Consider the average. Its probably the same effect as a ~64c Sacc.

BIAB compacted grist... er you lost me there.

It shouldn't be of course. Not suggesting its in this case but its not unusual brewers trying to stove top biab mash more grain then their equipment capacity and the grain is packed in rather than loose etc. Temp fluctuations will have different temps through the grist. Too much grain to water scenario etc.

In short all I meant is if the mash sits long enough between 60 to 70c even if it fluctuates you will get malt.

Latest posts

Back