$90 For A Crownie.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's weird though, because I'd doubt the actual beer could be drunk and enjoyed by a megaswill tard.

I have an interesting question, let's list the beer we could buy for $90 instead of buying this one. Can be 10 bottles of $9 beer for example. Or a carton of double IPA's perhaps.

Well it would get nearly 2 cartons of Little Creatures Big Dipper single batch this year. And I personally really enjoyed that beer.

Damn when I read the thread title I though it was a Crown Urn for $90, was thinking of going back up to two urns :lol:

You could buy a cornie keg, and brew a batch of beer to put in it for less than the price of this one god damn bottle of beer!

Do you use ex-spirit or wine barrels or just fresh fired ones? If the timber was infused heavily with the previous contents, I could see the beer picking up some flavor's. Or maby a lambic or RIS that sits for over a year.
I was just under the impression you needed spirit like alcohol levels like 35% and up to steep out the goodness and concentrate the flavors as it evaporates.
So are you guys are using the barrel like an extended secondary or strictly for aging?

Even adding a small amount of oak chips to a beer for a few weeks will give a distinctive flavour.

Even adding a small amount of oak chips to a beer for a few weeks will give a distinctive flavour.

Is oak a good flavour for beer? What would you use it in?

I met a guy who finished furniture and got him to spray a couple of my musical instruments. Next time I met him he had broken into the 'exclusive' market and charged a ridiculous amount and people with lots of money are happy to pay premium. I can't imagine any beer that is so much better than the ones I brew myself to be worth that. But then again, I'm just a poor dev worker, and have to count my pennies.

I met a guy who finished furniture and got him to spray a couple of my musical instruments. Next time I met him he had broken into the 'exclusive' market and charged a ridiculous amount and people with lots of money are happy to pay premium. I can't imagine any beer that is so much better than the ones I brew myself to be worth that. But then again, I'm just a poor dev worker, and have to count my pennies.

Porters and stouts for a couple of examples.

Nothin like giving your beer a bit of wood. I give all my swap beers a special addition of my own bit of wood.

yeah i did a stout once that iput on 60 grams of american oak chips. in the end i tipped it because all i could taste was oak and it only had two weeks on them. definatly pays to be carefull with wood.

yeah i did a stout once that iput on 60 grams of american oak chips. in the end i tipped it because all i could taste was oak and it only had two weeks on them. definatly pays to be carefull with wood.

Hey mate can you remember how big the stout batch was? I'm intrigued that such such a small wood chip amount completed FUBAR'd something like a stout.

And you're right, safety first when playing around with wood. Could catch a STD (Splinter in The Digits).

Lots of beers oak can work in. The usual ones for me are sour beers but porters, stouts, dubbels and so on could take a bit of oak with no issues.

Some altbiers are supposedly served from wooden barrels so oaking an alt could work. Last time I tried that I got Brett alt (not your fault) which was nice but unexpected, out of place and a bit gushy.

Hey mate can you remember how big the stout batch was? I'm intrigued that such such a small wood chip amount completed FUBAR'd something like a stout.

And you're right, safety first when playing around with wood. Could catch a STD (Splinter in The Digits).

i remeber alright! 20 litres of good beer i meant to improve. from now on i will be starting with a low wood dose and working up to taste.easy to add impossible to remove.

I tried using Oak chips in a Fat Yak clone recipe. Don't know what I was thinking there but it completely ruined the beer.

I'm doing a dry stout in a few weeks and an interested if anyone has had success using it in stout and if so how much was added.
Im doing a kit brew and brewing 20L.

I remember, in my youth, that all beer in Brisbane was in wooden barrels. Long after SS became the norm one of the Breakfast Creek hotels ads was that it still served draught "off the wood"

I tried using Oak chips in a Fat Yak clone recipe. Don't know what I was thinking there but it completely ruined the beer.

I'm doing a dry stout in a few weeks and an interested if anyone has had success using it in stout and if so how much was added.
Im doing a kit brew and brewing 20L.
I find chips need a really short contact time otherwise they just become harsh. But this will age out and improve
Usage rate depend on contact time, form ie chips,cubes or dominos, personal preference and which oak it is. I'd suggest around 15 gram of American and French as chips with a contact time of no more than 10 days where as Hungarian nearly double that and much lomger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joshuahardie said:
I also tried the 2nd release a month ago as well, and it was also uninspiring. I don't even know how to describe it. Like a dubbel without the yeast notes? (cost $70)
I had one of these (think the 2008) mid this year, and for those who have been wondering if it's worth it, that quote is exactly how I'd describe it.

Would take a $20 long neck of chimay grand reserve over it any day.

barls said:
I find chips need a really short contact time otherwise they just become harsh. But this will age out and improve
Usage rate depend on contact time, form ie chips,cubes or dominos, personal preference and which oak it is. I'd suggest around 15 gram of American and French as chips with a contact time of no more than 10 days where as Hungarian nearly double that and much lomger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok thanks. From memory its American oak in chips form. Bit reluctant to try them again but then again there's no reward without the risk is there?
Might try drop it down to 10g and see if I can get just a hint of character in the background. Maybe put them in after 2 weeks ferment and leave for a week before bulk prime and bottle.

Back