90% Efficiency Today With Braumeister

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SJW would be leaving behind the cold break as well this would be why there is so much loss. I get 2-3lts loss with no chill and 6lts loss with using a chiller. I know cold break is not a worry but never tried to separate them at all, I dont have a BM but sure the same thing applies when you chill in the pot.

SJW would be leaving behind the cold break as well this would be why there is so much loss. I get 2-3lts loss with no chill and 6lts loss with using a chiller. I know cold break is not a worry but never tried to separate them at all, I dont have a BM but sure the same thing applies when you chill in the pot.
Good point there mate. Since buying the BM I have been chilling down to pitching temps so there would be a lot of cold break, and maybe if I did not chill so low there would be less trub. But being the first bew for a Wyest pack I like to make it clean as possible as I will split and save the yeast cake.

Steve

On my rig ive found 25 l at end of boil gives me 22 l into fermenter, one keg and close to 2 X1.25 bottles.
Mill is set to 1.15
I fill cube to top with clean wort ( use brewbrite). The remaing mix of trub and wort i filter through some cheese cloth. Then transfer that into clean flask/s cover with foil and reboil. Use this for a starter and/or miniboil.
Start with 32l strike water and 2 l sparge.
Cheers
Sean

Dont normally use yeastcake, prefer to top crop if required and alwayssplit packs into 4 , one direct into starter and 3 vials for later.

32l strike water on 20l bm? Wouldn't that be way too much?

in my ultra small system I find using hop bag very useful in gaining more wort at the end of the boil, I just get a bit of rod across the top of the pot to hold the hop bags up off the element.

Good point there mate. Since buying the BM I have been chilling down to pitching temps so there would be a lot of cold break, and maybe if I did not chill so low there would be less trub. But being the first bew for a Wyest pack I like to make it clean as possible as I will split and save the yeast cake.

Steve

Cheers mate, thanks for clearing that up... makes sense now. I no chill and leave to settle for 30 min post whirlpool so my trub is sans cold break and well settled. I transfer in the mid 80's.

I was getting antsy also about these really high brewhouse efficiency too. I get 70% true brewhouse eff (65% for high OG or hops), all trub losses etc (eg. 21L @ 1050 in cube ) and thought it was a little low compared to you guys. Now I realise I am measuring differently.

Latest posts

Back