7 gallon ss brew buckets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsec

Reaction score
I am new to brew buckets

I filled one up to 6 gallon (22.7L) but did not get a full corny from it.

The Little dip tube well and truly stopped early so I needed to tip the whole bucket forward but even with that I didn't get a full corny before I hit trub

How full do you need to fill them with wort to get 19L out?

Each bucket is different considering shape, diameter, spigot height etc.

Best bet is to put in a known quantity, say 10L and then drain it back out and work out what's left over (dead space, loss to fermenter, unrecoverable fermenter volume etc etc what ever you want to call it) then factor that into your final batch size. Say it's 4 litres, then you know you need 19L + 4 being 23L fermenter volume.

when you put the beer in make sure the dip tube is sideways to the right when the tap faces you.

turn the entire tap right to lower it when you are filling your keg.

when you put the beer in make sure the dip tube is sideways to the right when the tap faces you.

turn the entire tap right to lower it when you are filling your keg.

Ahhhh I am an idiot

This is perfect - I'll give this a go

Thank you

Each bucket is different considering shape, diameter, spigot height etc.

Best bet is to put in a known quantity, say 10L and then drain it back out and work out what's left over (dead space, loss to fermenter, unrecoverable fermenter volume etc etc what ever you want to call it) then factor that into your final batch size. Say it's 4 litres, then you know you need 19L + 4 being 23L fermenter volume.

I thought given these were quite expensive they would be a known entity & there should be a standard value that people are filling them to in order to pull a full 19L out?

That makes sense. I didn't see the SS part I just saw brew bucket. My mistake although the principal is the same I guess!

Glad you got a reasonable answer from someone who can read hahah

Hello Adamsec
SS 7US gallon fermenters are irritatingly just undersized imo. I have a brewbucket (27L) and a 7G unitank and if they had been 30L it would be more comfortable. FYI for the Brewbucket there's 1.2L left to the base of the tap hole, 2L racking tube level, 1.3 to 1.5L tube down a bit, 3.5L at 45 degs up and 4.8L straight up.
cheers H

Latest posts

Back