• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

60l Copper Boiler $50

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramer

Reaction score
In Bundy's paper there is a copper boiler for $50 AndrewQLD might be interested I am back and forth from Bundy, Gladstone & Rocky if someone local wants it?

Ph: (07) 4159 5169 - (number out of the paper)

If someone needs it I could deliver without a worry.

Kramer.

Thanks for the heads up, Kramer, but I am happy at the mo with my 50lt job. When I upgrade it will be to a 90lt boiler.
Although a nice shiny copper boiler would look good in the brewhaus.

Next time your down Bundy way, let me know and drop in for a cordial.

Cheers
Andrew

:excl: Anybody have an issue with copper boilers?

http://www.foodscience.afisc.csiro.au/fshbull/fshbull20f.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A bulletin for the Australian Food Industry February 2000

Acute copper poisoning
Copper was once a favoured metal for food containers and cooking utensils. Its high conductivity facilitated rapid heating and led to its use in kitchenware as well as in kettles and pans used, for instance, by jam makers. The copper was usually tin-plated as even trace amounts of copper can lead to oxidation and discolouration problems in a wide range of foods.

For those reasons, as well as the potential toxicity of copper, it was replaced by other materials notably stainless steel in processing operations and aluminium and stainless steel in kitchens. The Australian Food Standards Code places a upper limit of 5.0 mg/kg of copper in beverages and other liquid foods and 1.0 mg/L in water.

A letter published in the Medical Journal of Australia, 17 May 1999, shows that care must still be taken to avoid copper in domestic or near domestic situations. The journal correspondents describe an incident in Western Australia in which 15 children suffered what appears to have been acute copper poisoning characterised by vomiting and nausea.

The children became ill after drinking lime cordial which had been prepared the night before in an old urn. The children developed symptoms within minutes of drinking the cordial and recovered within an hour.

Analysis of the lime cordial which was still in the urn failed to reveal the presence of any pathogenic microorganisms but it did reveal a copper concentration of 300 mg/L. Since acute poisoning can occur with oral ingestion of 10-30 mg of copper in copper salts, even a small intake of the lime cordial could have led to the symptoms observed.

The correspondents draw attention to the danger of using old urns for preparing acidic drinks if a copper element is still in the vessel.

shmick said:
:excl: Anybody have an issue with copper boilers?

[Analysis of the lime cordial which was still in the urn failed to reveal the presence of any pathogenic microorganisms but it did reveal a copper concentration of 300 mg/L. Since acute poisoning can occur with oral ingestion of 10-30 mg of copper in copper salts, even a small intake of the lime cordial could have led to the symptoms observed.

The correspondents draw attention to the danger of using old urns for preparing acidic drinks if a copper element is still in the vessel.
[post="75554"][/post]​

Dont know how they measured that but 300 mg/l copper is an enormous number, almost impossible to achieve unless the cordial was at a very low pH. I work at a bunch of copper mines and even piles of copper ore in high rainfall conditions dont produce those sort of levels. I am quite confident that the new shine my copper manifold gets each brew is adding levels of copper which are beneficial to the yeast and too low to harm anyone drinking the beer. Mind you I have been noticing a bit of a tic recently...

AndrewQLD said:
Next time your down Bundy way, let me know and drop in for a cordial.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="75538"][/post]​

Actually I might come down for your brew day if its still going ahead, would love to know how to do AG, I may have met you before, If you have your printer cartridges refilled at PCS I used to be the long haired fella behind the counter. I currently run PCS Gladstone.

Kramer.

Back