60 Litre Fermenter Handling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superoo

Reaction score
Howdy All,

I am considering using a 60 Litre fermenter, but handling it with my chest type fermenter freezer will not be easy.

Does anyone have any tips on handling these big buggers ?

Cheers,
Chris

Best off filling it whilst in the fermeezerator then siphon out the first keg or two then lift. That's how I do it when using the 60L in the fermeezerator.

Cheers Brad,
I'll give that some thought, I usually rack to secondary but Could probably just pump it for that amount.

$80 electric hoist from ebay and if you need to move it from one side to another use a sliding door mechanism to act as a gantry and attach the hoist.

uploadfromtaptalk1390216377170.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390216428673.jpguploadfromtaptalk1390216471979.jpg

This is my solution to the problem - got a spreader bar made by my boilermaker friend, bought a sailing pulley from whitworths marine and a sliding door track from "vater" to suspend the pulley from. It works a treat!

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Let me know if you need any more info.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

I've always just manned up and lifted the damn things, which in hindsight was probably pretty stupid. Even for a guy my size they're a heavy and awkward lift when full

Not going to be an option in future as I've now got not one but two busted shoulders (motorbikes. what can you do), it's a big motivation for me to get conicals as they'll let me just pump everything

Lifting things by the handle is dangerous and should not be done.

I have a 60L that's my main FV in the summer (only have one fermenting fridge) . I only get away with it because the ferm fridge is a fridge, not a chesty so everything can be kept at ground level. I have the strength to lift it onto a chair for its first keg-out then further onto the bench for the second keg-out.

However if using a chesty as your ferm fridge you'd definitely need a lifting device.

Latest posts

Back