6 months to plan epic brew day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegs23

Reaction score
was thinking after we just had the shortest day on Saturday of the year,and only 6 months till the longest day, i might start planing a epic brew day from sunrise to sunset,
sunrise in brisbane 4.49am
sunset in brisbane 6.43pm
total 13h 52min
so was thinking of getting all my summer brewing done in one day, so would have extra time to relax over the xmas break,
i am thinking i could get around 9 brews done on a 3 tier system useing gas
and another 6 done useing my urn as a boiler and it sitting on the other side of my 3 tier system,
all brews will be cubed and put straight in the pool to cool down,
i guess now i just need to find 15 different beers to brew up,

1.pilsner
2 kolsch
3 apa
4 nelson summer ale
5 mosiac summer ale
6 black ipa
7 choc/coffee stout
8 american wheat
9 California common

i see what come up in the next few weeks to add to the beer list,
thats 15 beers to the beer gods i think i might be a little drunk by the end

I reckon the first 4 might go ok, but the rest could be an epic cluster, especially if you drink homebrew while brewing homebrew. who doesnt? Interesting idea though.
Personnally I would look at less variety and do double batches.

i can do double all day i can do up to 5 cubes in one batch,,,,,,more about verity this time round,,might only have a small glass for each brew,, after the 1st one starts boiling i can mash in again ,so about every 1and a half hours i can pump out another beer,,,,,,,helps haveing a 140l hlt .

Mate not to rain on your parade but depends on ur system size? Even with brendo, maple, fourstars systems combined the best we have done to date is 6 beers or about 500L and thats with gyle brewing as well.. We do a collaboration brew day once a year and its basicly 8am to 8pm or later and 4 of us to run around tdoing stuff.

Ur listing 15beers. That 15hr worth of boil and 13hr to brew. Thats not incl mash time, change over, time slippage etc. So even at 100% time efficiency you havent allowed enough time.

Im not even takjng into account ur experience level as a brewer, stuck sparges, heating of water (always takes ages) etc.

I think your over estimating your chance of success. Im not saying to give up but maybe rerhink your logistics.

I think the GoldClub will be willing to help you achieve this!

I'll do the cleaning.

Sounds like a good challenge mate . I take it you'd stick to 60 min mash and boils? I'm still struggling to bring my times for a single batch to under five hours but I use an immersion chiller. You'd better chuck a bitter on that list somewhere I reckon.

I LOVE YOUR WORK!!!
Surely summer isn't complete without a mexican style cervaza? Let me know if you need a hand with the tasting of these brews.

the quickest single batch i have ever done was 2h 57min including clean up and that was cubed,,,,,,,i have two 38L mash tuns so i can mash in 2 beers at a time,i have done this before but havent backed it up running with both, 60min boils and mash .

If u can use the same wort and use diff yeasts then u can split ur batch and het 2 beers but youd need very diff yeasts like us05 and belgian or irish and belgian etc.

Or if u have massive tuns split the batch into multple kettles for diff hop schedules amd yeasts. Then you start to get closer to your target.

Edit. Ok if ur talking 2 tuns and 2 kettles simultaneously at single batch volume then yes u doible your output. If ur best time is 3 hrs then the best you can hope for is 12 beers (13hrs divide 3hrs per batch times 2 for a double system). Not incl clean up between batches etc. All the best.

Since ur doing smaller batches it should be a bit easier. Our issue is we are dealing with 90-100L each batch so we can divide between the 4 of us.

A couple of friends around to help out may be warranted, things could quite easily get out of hand, hell it happens to most of us on occasion running a single mash and boil (regardless of batch size)

batch one start 5am mash in 5.30am finish 8.00am =2 diffent cubes
batch two mash in 7.00am finish 9.30am =4 cubes
batch three mash in 8.30am finish 11.00am =6 cubes
batch four mash in 10.00am finish 12.30pm = 8 cubes
batch five mash in 11.30am finish 2.00pm =10 cubes
batch six mash in 1,00pm finish 3.30pm =12 cubes
batch seven mash in 3.30pm finish 5.00pm =14 cubes
that gives me an extra 11min at the start and if done by 5pm leaves me 1h43min before sunset(i dont think ill have that time spare)and if i get it done on time ill go for number 15,

as soon as the boil starts i start doing the mash in for another two brews, so your not wainting around, the mash tuns will be full pretty much all day,,,,,,
ive worked in some pretty busy restaurants cooking so its pretty much the same ,,,,,

yeah you will have to come over for a beer one week end as your only up the road(lukiferj)

It might be worth reading Zymurgy Sept/Oct 2010 article "More beer from your brew day". This will give you a good idea of the range of different beers that could be brewed whilst maximising your summer solistace.

Seriously, if your going to attempt this mega...whoops....epic brew day.....please film it with a time lapse camera. That would be great to see.

yeah ive got a go pro ,,,,,i might practice some timelaps and film it good idea,

Sounds like a great day coming up :)

If you set your GoPro to record 1 frame every 75sec from sun up to sundown you will end up with an 11min clip. :beerbang:

Cheers & GL

Mate go forth and brew like hell. Im just trying to help u contingency plan. Your doing your planning so thats great.
The 6 p's. Piss poor planning produces piss poor performance.

Photos or time lapse. Pls.

Rock on bro.

Back