Quantcast

6 Days dry

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Reaction score
SJW said:
Ps. I'll be happy to raise a glass of ice water JDW, lest we forget.
Posted that in the wrong thread mate, sorry. Still rings true though.

Hope you can master the art of moderation.

JD

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
That's the funny thing about extremes. One aspect can be a pinnacle of achievement (your racing for example) one can be the depths of despair (hardcore addiction).

Only you can define where you want to be and how you want to balance everything.

I tend towards the extreme in many aspects too - tempered mostly by the multitude of things I like to do which stops me fixating on just one but there's a very fine line between obsession and passion.

Only you can define where that line is drawn in your life, being aware and trying is the first and biggest step.

DU99

Reaction score
Least you have admitted your have a issue and it takes a big person to admit to it..

Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit
Reaction score
Everything in moderation, including moderation ;) It really works for me well though. Mostly moderate, with a bit of madness every so often. Keeps the outer limits fun.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
"There but for the grace of God go I".

7 days in, you're on top of it. Keep going.

Kudos

MastersBrewery

Journeyman, the learning never stops
Reaction score
A friend of mine years ago was nightly doing half of your nightly consumption. He worked hard played hard, big nights were huge. We didnt brew hell at the time we could have spent hundreds a week with out batting an eye. He like Steve came to a fork in the road. And like Steve he's a man of focused extreams. He went from 78kg with a telly tubby beer belly to a hard muscled wedge at 47 hes 85kg and not an oz of fat. I like choclate too much for that life style.
Life is about balance, that changes as we learn,get older, have kids/family, and with ups and downs. Recognising change is needed and making those changes is never easy.
Glad for you day 7 is showing some light, know that light will fade in and out for a while but will return.
Seriously admire your courage in starting this thread and wish you and yours the best for the future.

Lecterfan

Yeast, unleashed in the East...
Reaction score
Good on you, SJW. Get on top of it, live life to the full. I suspect there are many of us on this forum (and many who aren't) who - push comes to shove - are nowhere as near in control of our relationship to our produce as we would like to be.

In the words of my main PhD theorist, we all need to learn how to "say both yes and no" to certain things in our life so that we can have an authentic relationship to what we love, without our sense of self/self-identity being dependant on such. I bet most of us on this forum are/were well known for our capacity to handle a lot of piss and party hearty - it can be hard to leave that behind and find a way to still be "you" without relying on old ways.

Starting about 2 years ago, and as a result of cumulative damage, my liver no longer produces sufficient dehydrogenase to keep up with heavy sessions or high ABV drinks. If I go too hard it affects my breathing and my skin turns a bright red (all over my body, mostly my back and my chest) and I get a full-on fever.

I don't brew anything over about %5.5 any more, have a minimum of 4 dry days a week, increased exercise through the roof (compared to the first 4 decades of my life), spend more meaningful time with my woman. I'm not trying to sound dramatic, but every dry day for me is ******* hard. But it is getting better/easier. Like all habits and life choices, it is a brand new battle each and every time, but we can draw on our past successes to make it easier day by day.

Onya cobber.

zwitter

Reaction score
Hey SJW

Maybe your wife's suggestion is a first step of moderation whereas selling would have been the excess!

I have been off he booze for about 10 weeks now except for 2 weddings where I had 2 drinks at each. My story is about weight rather than alcohol but the beer was too easy to drink. I plan to continue but also to downsize both me and the kegs. Lost 15Kg since just before Christmas and probably wont drink regularly for many more months yet.

Anyway all the best and if you need support PM some of us we can offer assistance if required. And don't let that wife out of your site! mine would have sold or given my stuff away in a heartbeat.

james

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Anti Depressants dont automatically mean you need to tea total, but it is a good idea if you do cut back.

Dont forget that the medication will also have its own initial effects within the first few weeks which might clash with you also stopping drinking.

My experience is to slow down drinking, well, slowly, then start the meds

The hard bit is keeping under that trigger level

Now, if brewing makes you happy and gives you pleasure, then why stop doing it. just back off the amount you brew.

Maybe re-think your brewing.

Brew some lights and Mild/Mids..

If you want a brewers challenge then Light & Mids are it.

You can still get all the flavour (but it takes a bit more work and recipe adjustment ), but keeps it under 3%

All good exercise for the mind

madpierre06

Reaction score
Shit that word moderation can be tough to ge5t to. I've lived with excess and extremes for over 40 years, and really 'get' the concept of starting out social cycling and within months be doing the 'A' Grade thing. Fortunately (or not) I also lived in the world of addictions (neither of which was alcohol or drugs thankfully), and found that the only way I could recover and leave behind these behaviors was through the path of faith which started via a 12 step programme. This was needed and found as a last resort as after much efort and failure I learned that I have as much capacity for self will,discipline and self moderation as a fat kid buried face deep in a trifle, or a MP with a public expense account.

Where alcohol is concerned, I have drunk heavily (at first), heavily, moderately, sporadically, abstained, lightly, moderately, socially...and now learned that my body will not physically allow me to drink beyond a certain point which tahnkfully means I don't get to the point anymore of trying to crack onto your missus or other unsavoury/unsociable behaviour. This point is usually around 9/9.30 of a case swap, so I bring a couple bottles of water for the period following.

For these reasons, I can't commend and encourage enough anyone like yourself who recognises their limitations/weaknesses and does something about it. It can be the hardest ******* thing at times to stay with, but the rewards are so bloody worth it. All the very best with it, and always remember that the key to staying true to the path you have chosen is brutal self honesty.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Thanks guys it's great to read all these posts, makes me feel like I'm not the only one that likes the extremes. Anyway I just pulled all the taps off and cleaned them and bleached the keg freezer and packed up all the beer lines. Next beer will be 20th April 2017, I guess. That might sound extreme but compared to selling thousands of dollars worth of equipment this is my first lesson in moderation.

Steve

Bridges

Reaction score
No weakness in admitting you have one. We all wage our battles against ourselves in some way, when those battles affect the ones we love it is the bravest and strongest among us who choose to make a change.

Reman

Reaction score
Don't punish yourself, selling all of your gear would have been a punishment. No one learns from punishment.

Don't regret either, learn from your experience.

If you are taking meds and not seeing a psychologist, see your GP and ask for a mental health plan which will let you see a psych subsidised by Medicare. A psych using cognitive behavioural therapy can help you understand underlying triggers and help develop ways to identify them and what to do when they hit and ways to neutralise their negative impact while accepting their positive impact.

I'm coming up on 18 months with Anxiety. It's a journey and some times not a pleasant one.

Good luck

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Well 6 weeks in and I'm a new man. Feeling great, sleeping great and doing good. I even dealcoholised an Oktoberfest I had in a keg. I put it back in the BM and heated to 85 deg C for an hour. The worst smell ever was coming off it, almost blew my head off when I took a big sniff. Anyway I cooled and re kegged and gassed up again. Tasted like shit for the first couple weeks, very strong taste of aluminium, but now it's great.
So not totally alcohol free, as there would be some left in it but I'm only having 1 at a time and not hanging for a full strength beer.
I did have a sip of a half keg I got of an APA I have been running off for friends and I did not like it at all.
So I'm glad I did it, and when it starts warming up I will try and perfect a low alcohol beer.

Steve

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Nice.
If you have any mishaps on the way, don't berate yourself but also don't give up on your path. Get straight back into your noderation.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Good to see mate :)

We will have you back on the RIS in a matter of no time :lol:

Toper

Reaction score
Today I'm celebrating 30 days sober. Not consecutively...here and there..over the years. I'm estimating..

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
toper01 said:
Today I'm celebrating 30 days sober. Not consecutively...here and there..over the years. I'm estimating..
Respect man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKmbN7DIuk

Latest posts