Quantcast

6 Days dry

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
After brewing for 15 years and drinking 10+ schooys a night on average, I had my last beer in Hawaii last week. Came to a head over there when I bought a 12 pack of pint size cans of a high gravity beer called 211 Steel Reserve (I think). Some guy saw me walking back to the hotel with them, and drinking one, and said "wow dude that's what the alcoholics drink in the park back in Miami, party on dude". Problem was the party was always by myself.
All the signs were there like drinking alone, built up a huge resistance to alcohol, could not wait to get home from work to sink a few before going in the house blah blah blah. Was just too easy having great beer on tap.
The scariest thing was how I felt after a couple days with no beer when I returned home. Huge headaches and a bit shaky. Then it hit me......I was dependant on this stuff. So I made the decision to sell the lot.
I also think the beer was not helping with my anti depressant medication effectiveness also. I learnt that drinking heaps slowes down your central nervous system so when you drink your CNS amps up to combat the alcohol effects, hence you need more beer to get the mellow affects. So when I stopped my CNS is still buzzing with the anticipation of the alcohol. So the explains the slight jitters now.
Anyway, I enjoyed the years of brewing and friends I made but I could not keep going on.
Stay cool lads and drink in moderation.
Steve

Mr B

Reaction score
Tough post to write no doubt.

Good on you to make the decision, life comes before beer.

All the best SJW

Grott

Beer Embalmer
Reaction score
You have made a huge step my friend in recognising that you had a problem and are now doing something positive about it.
All the best.

Danwood

Space left intentionally blank
Reaction score
Brave call, Steve. Good on you for making it.

I ask myself every so often, is the reason I want a beer purely to taste all that malty, hoppy goodness...or is it my brain needing the alcohol. If I think I'm tending towards the latter (usually after holidays and the like, when there's more wet days than dry), I take a month off drinking. I'm on one of those now, following my parents visiting for 6 weeks from UK.
That usually breaks the habit, and I can go back to having a just a few beers on a Friday and Saturday (or not even that) and nothing through the week, and not give it a second thought.

Drinking should be a social thing, I think. As you say, Steve, if you notice you're drinking more and more on your own, people should ask the question of themselves, before the habit gains any more momentum.

Again, great job for putting your story out there in order to spread the word.

Sincerely, Dan

Lager Bloke

Reaction score
Big call but a good call.Best of luck with everything in the future.Rob.

Hairy camel

Reaction score
Mate I went threw the same things 5 years ago
Drank heavily for 15 years and when the missus left I looked at my self and went it's time

I drink now but am able to have just one now and that's enough

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing and I wish you all the best!

SJW

Reaction score
Thanks lads. Hopefully after a break, maybe I could get back to just a social beer

Hairy camel

Reaction score
SJW said:
Thanks lads. Hopefully after a break, maybe I could get back to just a social beer
Funny enough when I tasted my first beer after not drinking for a while my first thoughts were geeze this tastes like shit

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
If you find yourself craving something bitter and refreshing, tonic water hits the spot.
It does usually have a good whack of sugar in it so moderate that as well.
All the best, chief.

Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit
Reaction score
SJW said:
First off, good on you for doing this. It's ******* difficult, and for me there were a lot of dark times along the way. Everyone is different, and those of us who drink too much do so for different reasons. Some to avoid pain, some for genetic reasons, some because it's how they grew up, etc, etc, etc.

You probably can get back to a social beer if you want to, but it takes some work and serious soul searching. I have pretty much done it. It got to the point my friends were telling me I was being an asshole when I drank. When I listened to the stories I had to agree. I stopped drinking for the better part of a year. Tried to go back, fell off the horse, got back on slowly.

YMMV. The key for me was observing that once I had two drinks in me it was full steam ahead to the point of complete abandon. I had to limit myself to one drink for a couple years, but once I got used to how the "trigger point" felt, I could go to it and stop.

Also, I had to admit to myself that I could get to a point where I just didn't give a **** about anyone else. So yeah, it can involve some serious soul searching.

Then there was listening to my best friend's advice. "Only drink when you're happy." That eliminated most of the drinking! He himself had spent some time in the same trenches as us.

After a few years of looking at it I realised that for me drinking was actually a social thing anyway! I didn't and don't really enjoy drinking to drink, or drinking on my own. The happy thing led me to that one. I love to have a few good beers with a good friend or 20. The drinking comes out of the hanging out, not the other way around.

Now I get lightly tanked on occasion. I have to stay conscious of my two-drink trigger, but if I'm aware enough I can step past it. Sometimes I'm not and can't. On a couple occasions I've stepped well past it. If the drink starts interfering with the fun - on any level at all - it's time to stop. If I'm drinking to get away from how I feel, don't.

It took me seven years to get to the point I could feel I could have a drink safely. I'm two years past that point. I still have to pay attention, and there are plenty of days I say, "No, not today." The key for me now is that I know having a drink is often not the best decision. And on occasion, I make the bad decision. On a couple occasions, rather dramatically. One might have involved a case swap ;)

Scientists have recently found that my kind of trigger physically exists, so if I need an explanation I have one, but I don't. If the drinking isn't enhancing my life on some level, why do it? If it isn't adding something positive to the situation, why do it? If I'm not able to look after my daughter and wife because I got too drunk the night before, what kind of man am I?

This all reminds me of a favourite joke my aforementioned best friend used to tell. "What's the difference between an alcoholic and a drunk? An alcoholic has to go to AA." Don't be a drunk. I won't let alcohol, or anything else, control my life, or darken the lives of those I love. I have, and I don't want to.

Hope this adds something to your journey along the way. Good luck mate. Life ain't easy sometimes.

danestead

Reaction score
That's an absolute shit tonne of beer per night! I have no idea how I'd manage to function day after day drinking that amount but well done on recognising the signs and making the decision to help yourself. I hope it all works out for you and maybe one day you can sit back and enjoy the occasional bought craft beer. It's amazing the amount of great breweries out there now.

Cheers for the braumeister videos on youtube. I used to watch them when I was in the process of purchasing one.

Cheers.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Shit that was about five litres of beer a night, going to take a while to come good, but you have probably passed the "hump" at six days and your body will start deriving its energy from food, not alcohol.

AA could maybe help, I'm in another "Twelve Step" programme not to do with alcohol, but every addiction** is the same whether it's a substance or an acting-out addiction such as Gambling or Love Addiction and it all comes from the same place deep inside .. could be worth looking into one of the several groups around the Hunter if only to see if their stories can help you make sense of your own. You don't have to share at a 12 step group, just give your first name, in fact they prefer you just to listen.

I spent years on the cask wine, about five casks a week, and went through a period of poverty and unemployment - funnily enough home brew saved me from the Lambrusco :p and I guess I now have a routine that works for me, namely if I'm drinking at home, no beer till around 4 and definitely nothing after 8 unless it's a social thing like a case swap: works for me and I don't have to get up three times a night :unsure: but as previous poster said YMMV.

All the best.

edit: **by addiction I don't mean ending up in the gutter looking like a victim of meth, a good definition I go on is "a substance or action I have come to rely on to temporarily dull the pain of reality". That's why they are all the same.

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Reaction score
Well done on giving away the booze SJ.

Hope the health turns around for you mate.

JD

SJW

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My wife has convinced me not to sell everything just pack it away for a year or so, then see how I go. She thinks I'm being a bit hard on myself but like Mardo said, if it ain't adding anything to my life why do it. I have brewed hundreds of brews so I don't feel like I need to brew anymore. So I just pulled the plug out of the freezer and I'll take the taps off, clean them up and leave it for a bit. The entire set up has paid for itself many times over anyway, so it's not about the cash. Feeling pretty good today (day 7).
My problem is I do everything to extreme. Drinking, then it's all in, not drinking then I'll go with nothing. I got into cycling years ago but that was not enough I had to race and get to A grade. My wife says I need to learn about a thing called..........Moderation. I'll look that up in the dictionary and find out what that's all about. Lol.

Steve

Ps. I'll be happy to raise a glass of ice water JDW, lest we forget.

Latest posts