6 day carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers damoninja!

I certainly do not serve below 12psi. Closer to 15 in fact!

I hear you re checking too early. I will stick to 40psi for 24hrs, 20 psi for 24hrs and then drop it to 15psi and track it's progress?

Should be fine for Saturday!

Cheers,
UNT

I've done both the quick carbonation method and the leave at serving pressure method and find the latter much better.

Keg goes into the fridge, gets the gas connected and a leave it for 6-7 days. Usually serve at around 13-14 PSI and find a week at this pressure is just about perfect. Never had one over carbed.

JD

I've done both the quick carbonation method and the leave at serving pressure method and find the latter much better.

Keg goes into the fridge, gets the gas connected and a leave it for 6-7 days. Usually serve at around 13-14 PSI and find a week at this pressure is just about perfect. Never had one over carbed.

JD

Looks like the thermostat has bitten the dust!

So kegs are now in the fermentation fridge and I am wondering if I can hook my external thermostat to the other fridge with the dead thermostat and keep fermenting in there for now?

Cheers,
UNT

Ok, maybe things are not as bad as I thought! It was just the lines that were frozen. Beer is pouring now and tasting pretty good.

Kegs in the fermenting fridge!

After 24hrs @40psi, 24hrs @ 20psi and 24hrs @12psi it could still be a little more carbonated, and maybe will be tomorrow?

What confuses me is how it can be pouring a lot of foam but still seem a little flat in the beer?

UNT

UsernameTaken said:
After 24hrs @40psi, 24hrs @ 20psi and 24hrs @12psi it could still be a little more carbonated, and maybe will be tomorrow?

What confuses me is how it can be pouring a lot of foam but still seem a little flat in the beer?
Hot day, hot taps, hot glass? Stings me from time to time. Drop serving pressure a little, use a chilled glass, discard (skull) first 1/2 a glass, see what you've got.

Or, if you've over done it...... it will come out foamy as, dump all its CO2 and you'll be left with flatty beer.

What temp is your fridge at? I run mine quite low and don't run in to over carb issues personally.

I am aiming for 4c in the fridge but the thermostat died today and I was -2 when I got home tonight!

So over carbing makes lots of foam (obvious) and flat beer (not so obvious)?

Kegs are in a different fridge now and sitting at 4c and 12psi.

Should I just leave that over night and all of tomorrow or change anything?

Cheers,
UNT

damoninja said:
Hot day, hot taps, hot glass? Stings me from time to time. Drop serving pressure a little, use a chilled glass, discard (skull) first 1/2 a glass, see what you've got.
No need to waste beer. If you've got a freezer compartment at the top of your fridge keep a cup of ice in there. Make sure the cup is big enough to fit the whole tap in, and before you pour on a hot day plunge the whole tap into the ice for about 30 seconds. Your tap will be stone cold and won't blow foam for the first pour.

Oh, and keep your glasses cold.

When I first setup my kegerator, I had trouble with frozen lines. It's an old fridge with internal freezer compartment that has a dodgy door that doesn't close properly, so super cold air was descending down to where my lines were. I cut up some lengths of towel and wrapped them around the lines then taped over them to hold them there. Never had frozen lines again.

Just a fridge, no freezer! Thermostat dead. Lines got frozen and kegs mildly so.

Eventually started pouring after I pushed all the icy sludge through!

Both kegs now pouring 70% head and pretty flat, not sure what to do????

Have turned gas off and released pressure based on something I read, but not sure how long to leave it like that before re-gassing????

Cheers,
UNT

Thank you for all your help and support on this, except for the person who told me to look it up, that was not very helpful!

Everything seems to be under control now and from now on I will ensure I have enough beer made so I can slowly carbonate my kegs at serving pressure over 10 days or so as this clearly produces the best results!

Cheers,
UNT

Back