6 day carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
I am looking for the best way to carbonate my kegs over 6 days?

Most techniques I see seem to be either 1 to 2 days force carb at 30 to 40PSI or 10 days to 2 weeks at serving pressure.

I am kegging on Sunday and want to have well carbonated beer by next Saturday so am wondering if there is a good middle ground technique?

I am thinking 20psi and check it after 3 or 4 days to see how it's going?

I have 3 meters of 4mm hose on each keg with picnic taps and am kegging an mid strength pale ale and an IPA!

Cheers,
UNT

Six days chilled at serving pressure will probably get you close to good carbonation anyway, but in my opinion you should use the Ross Method but only shake for 1/2 of the recommended time. This way you can do half the carbing upfront and then leave the keg chilled @ serving pressure for the six days between kegging and serving, bringing you to optimum carbonation. You also won't risk overcarbonation as is always the case when using a "quick and easy" technique (nothing against the Ross Method, I use it all the time, but if I have a week up my sleeve I do as recommended)

Just higher than serving pressure. Higher pressure = quicker but more risk of overcarbing. Easy enough to check progress though.

Also keep cold = better co2 absorption.

I don't like super fizzy beer but find 120- 150 kpa for ~48 hrs does me.

I normally purge through the liquid post at serving pressure and leave connected for a day or so. Then connect to the gas post for a week and they are ready to go but my kegs certainly get better as they age.

Hook up at 20 and shake for 1 minute, then leave at serving pressure and cold until ready to drink. I do this and it is definitely carbed fully within a week

Ludicrous speed.
hqdefault.jpg

I've done a 48hour less risky method. Hook up at 3 bar pressure for 24 hours, then drop to serving pressure for another 24 hours. Almost bang on to what you get when going the 'slow and steady' serving pressure 1-2 week method.

The above is for a 19L keg, I've done on a 9 L keg before and it was overcarbed.

I've read somewhere the quick shake method uses up the foam giving head forming and retention prolems.
has anyone had experience with this?

Yeah, put it on at like 40 PSI for 18-24 hours, then back down to serving/correct pressure. Should get you right where you want to be in 6 days, for sure.

I go

24hrs 40 PSI
24hrs 20 PSI

Reduce to serving / target PSI (they are the same in my setup)

Most of the time, I only have 2 taps so I'm usually fairly keen to get it carbed.

For me at least, it doesn't go over at this rate... sometimes under after the first 2 days still but a little longer at desired pressure and it's good to go.

A gentle roll back and forward (Ross method) with the gas post at the top. I've shaken the hell out of it and not had problems with head etc

Moad said:
A gentle roll back and forward (Ross method) with the gas post at the top. I've shaken the hell out of it and not had problems with head etc
There's a little more to it than that. Shaking too long or at too high of a pressure will definitely give you problems.

mtb said:
There's a little more to it than that. Shaking too long or at too high of a pressure will definitely give you problems.
You'd struggle to overcarb it at 20psi for one minute but yes you are right. As is the result in every one of these threads, best option is to just set and forget at serving pressure. If you are impatient or have a need to carb it quicker, use any of the options above with caution.

I've gone for 24hrs at 40psi then another 24hrs at 20 psi then down to serving pressure?

I will report back how I go?

Cheers,
UNT

Moad said:
I follow the Ross method too, using a liquid disconnect to ease the shaking, and then connecting at serving pressure. Haven't had any problems from this method in >30 kegs, last time I poured a glass less than an hour after shaking.

UsernameTaken said:
I've gone for 24hrs at 40psi then another 24hrs at 20 psi then down to serving pressure?

I will report back how I go?
I'm guessing yes - but 'serving pressure' for me is about 12 PSI, if yours is lower I would drop it to the desired carb level.

If you are serving at say 8 PSI, drop it to a slightly higher PSI for a few days. Everything mentioned here is temperature dependent, of course...

Just a note, don't be deceived if after the first 48 hrs at 40/20PSI it seems a little flat, if you leave it another day with the gas turned off it may still be nice once pressure's equalised. This is how I've over carbed once I think, checked it after about 36hrs at 40PSI and wasn't happy it was really low, left it another 12-16hrs and boom was all foam.

Latest posts

Back