5mm Id And Barbs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budron

Reaction score
Very quick question

Will a 5mm ID tube fit over a traditional barbed piece?

Cheers

Boil the kettle. Pour a cup of boiling water. Immerse the end of the tube into the boiling water. Slide it onto the Barb.

If that fails, after you have softened it with boiling water, stick some needle nose pliers (pre-dunked in sanitiser) down the tube and stretch it a little, this will help you get it started on the barb.

Cheers SJ

Hope you have better luck and patience than me budron! Ive been f*&^$@(cking around for an hour this morning trying the same thing. Havent even got one of the feckers on yet :angry:

^^ I feel for ya.
I've been wasting co2 for the last 2 days trying to work out why my new JG fittings aren't working.
I've come to the conclusion it was the type of hose I was using(I hope anyway)

I ended up going for 6mm to save the hassle.

when heating up the line heat up the barbs aswell as it stops it cooling down too quick

cheers
Nath

Yeah you gotta heat up the line and the barb. The extra heat allows the line to stay warmer for longer. It's hard going that's for sure. Take care as the barbs are quite sharp and knuckles seem to be attracted to them.

I'd even consider putting a pot of water on the stove and leave it on the boil while soaking the parts just to get more heat and flex in the line.

Yeah you gotta heat up the line and the barb. The extra heat allows the line to stay warmer for longer.

Take care as the barbs are quite sharp and knuckles seem to be attracted to them.

I'd even consider putting a pot of water on the stove and leave it on the boil while soaking the parts just to get more heat and flex in the line.

Yep the first time I attempted putting the line on the barbs I took quite a chunk out of my finger right at the start of the fingernail :angry: Hurt like hell and bled like a stuck pig.

Now I have a boiling pot of water when I do it and heat both the barb and line. Place the barb down on a hard surface, use needle nose pliers to stretch the line and push it on while it is still hot. If it gets stuck on the way on heat both the line and barb in the boiling water and then repeat the pushing.

Once you get a system it works pretty easy. Just don't hold the barb with one hand while pushing the the line with the other, this is when you slip and impale your finger with the barb.

Gavo.

Now I have a boiling pot of water when I do it and heat both the barb and line. Place the barb down on a hard surface, use needle nose pliers to stretch the line and push it on while it is still hot. If it gets stuck on the way on heat both the line and barb in the boiling water and then repeat the pushing.

Thats what I ended up doing. Gotta be quick when you take the long nosed pliers out eh? Worked ok after that.....and then came trying to clamp the bloody step clip things :angry: What the hell do other people use to squeeze them together? Long nose plyers didnt work. Normal pliers didnt work. I nearly popped a blood vessel trying to squeeze them. Ended up sitting the pliers on the bit that you are meant to squeeze, sat it on the concrete out the back and got a hammer to the upper side of the pliers and hammered them together. Surely it cant be that hard?
Cheers
Steve

I put the line in the the electric kettle - turn it on and when it boils - i leave th ekettle on for a while...

The line gets really soft - easy to put on then.
Put the barb onto a nail punch - push the nail punch whilst holding the tube.
The nail punch centres the line and starts it spreading a bit.
Also once it is on properly - i heat the kettle up and then pour water over teh line/barb - allow it cool - the line then wants to go back to its original shape/diameter and as it colls - shrinks down really tight.

Hope this helps.

Thats what I ended up doing. Gotta be quick when you take the long nosed pliers out eh? Worked ok after that.....and then came trying to clamp the bloody step clip things :angry: What the hell do other people use to squeeze them together? Long nose plyers didnt work. Normal pliers didnt work. I nearly popped a blood vessel trying to squeeze them. Ended up sitting the pliers on the bit that you are meant to squeeze, sat it on the concrete out the back and got a hammer to the upper side of the pliers and hammered them together. Surely it cant be that hard?
Cheers
Steve

LOL Use a side cutter mate!

You should have called me...

and then came trying to clamp the bloody step clip things :angry: What the hell do other people use to squeeze them together? Long nose plyers didnt work. Normal pliers didnt work. I nearly popped a blood vessel trying to squeeze them.

Vice grips worked here, Not those $5 ones ViceGrip brand.

Gavo.

Just invest in Crimping Pliers for your brewing toolbox... ;)

The only thing that is really needed in the Brewery is JG fittings on Regulators....

:icon_cheers: CB

Latest posts

Back