5l Minikeg Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgw86

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently started homebrewing in the 5L minikegs and I am wondering what amount of dextrose I should be adding to the kegs for carbonation?

I recently kegged a Coopers Pale Ale and put 23g in each minikeg. I let it sit for 2 weeks at room temp and then put it in the fridge for 3 days to cool down.

When I pour the beer it has a lot of head (since turning down the CO2 pressure this has reduced) though it tastes flatter than a normal beer.

I poured my Pale Ale and a Heineken (from the can) into two glasses and tried both...while my Pale Ale had some carbonation it was slightly less than the Heineken.

Basically how much dextrose should I be adding to the minikegs to get the right carbonation and drop the amount of head poured?

Cheers,

Sam

Hi,

I have recently started homebrewing in the 5L minikegs and I am wondering what amount of dextrose I should be adding to the kegs for carbonation?

I recently kegged a Coopers Pale Ale and put 23g in each minikeg. I let it sit for 2 weeks at room temp and then put it in the fridge for 3 days to cool down.

When I pour the beer it has a lot of head (since turning down the CO2 pressure this has reduced) though it tastes flatter than a normal beer.

I poured my Pale Ale and a Heineken (from the can) into two glasses and tried both...while my Pale Ale had some carbonation it was slightly less than the Heineken.

Basically how much dextrose should I be adding to the minikegs to get the right carbonation and drop the amount of head poured?

Cheers,

Sam

60g per 23L batch or 12g per 5L keg (kinda sorta) and it will take much longer at 20C

90g if you were bottling

Search "Care and feeding of minikeg" ( Midwest Brewing Supplies ) and all will be revealed. :rolleyes:

Back