5l mini keg question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozdevil

Reaction score
ok all you smarty brewers

I recieved a 5l ikegger 5l choad through the week and i am very eagerly waiting to fill it with something to show off at the local golf course.

transporting a 6kg gas bottle or even a10kg bottle of co2 is not a problem at the moment as in stage 3 in victoria its 1 person per golf cart.

I know i am better of with a 60l sodastream or the 16gram bulbs (i intend on future doing this)

my question is as i have to make room in my keg fridge for more beer as its full with commercial beer

can i pour from the stubby 5 litres of beer thats is already carbonated into the keg then attach the co2 bottle to keep carbed?

cheers
ozdevil

You could, but it's not recommended. The beer will likely oxidize, and spoil the flavour. 5 litres is only half a slab -- you should be able to knock that over tonight :party: and be ready to fill you new keg tomorrow (assuming you have something in a larger keg to transfer into it).

You could, but it's not recommended. The beer will likely oxidize, and spoil the flavour. 5 litres is only half a slab -- you should be able to knock that over tonight :party: and be ready to fill you new keg tomorrow (assuming you have something in a larger keg to transfer into it).

mate i can nearly knock off 2 slabs on friday on my own , i am one beeraholic and dont wake up with hangovers..

i'm dry with all my 4-19 litre kegs but hey thats is life...

i get there will be oxygen involved, but would it really matter if that 5 litres was drunk in one sitting its only 15 pots approx they tell me..

once i get my brews done i will have no hassles in keeping up the 5litre through filling keg to keg.

If it's going to be gone in one sitting, why bother? You still have to open all the stubbies. Just drinking them saves washing the keg, too.

trust me normally i wouldnt go down this path.

i am also thinking its not worth the hassle.

i am just wondering wether it can be done

Depending on what commercial beer it is, it's probably already ruined, hahaha

Yes of course you can, just tip it down the side of the keg so it doesn't aerate and splash. As much as you can anyway.

You can hook up the 2 kegs and lower the pressure in the receiving keg and the beer will transfer easily. You will need to make your own lines.
1.From the full keg, transfer from the black beer line into the black beer line in the receiving keg.
2. From the full keg the grey gas line hooks into the grey gas line in the receiving keg.
3 Raise the pressure in the full keg and lower the pressure in the receiving keg by opening the relief valve.
The beer should transfer on its own.
Take care, use scales to determine how much beer is in the receiving keg as it is smaller.

I fill my stainless 1litre drink bottles before I go out from my kegs. I don't even worry about gas just drink straight from the bottle. If you're going to drink it the same day it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't do it the day before though.

Latest posts

Back