5L keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinski

Reaction score
Hi there, have not made a plunge into kegging yet, but have a query about it

I have been working it all out in 5L batches, and for various reasons I will stay at that size for a while longer, it's a bit of pressure to keep brewing, but that suits where I am at.

Are there economical ways of kegging at this size. I see a couple of suppliers have different solutions to this, but the cost scares me away.

Cheapest would be to lurk on gumtree and wait for someone near you selling off their unwanted electric 5L keg chiller cheaply
like this guy http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wishart/small-appliances/electric-beer-keg-chiller-5l/1051181147

I like my Party Star system because it's so portable for a picnic or to take to someone else's house. especially with the neoprene parka, but it's a more expensive route
http://minikeg.net.au/product.php?id_product=34

For the kegs themselves, don't buy empty ones. When Dan murphy restocks on 5L lowenbrau kegs just have your friends buy a few stock you up. It's the same cost to them as if they paid $52 for a slab and you get the kegs afterwards.

No worries mate.

I did 5L batches to start with as well but got really sick of the mess associated with using part of a goop tin and saving the rest.
What's keeping you going with 5L batches, if you don't mind me asking?

siege said:
No worries mate.

I did 5L batches to start with as well but got really sick of the mess associated with using part of a goop tin and saving the rest.
What's keeping you going with 5L batches, if you don't mind me asking?
The size I can boil, without spending more that is ... Have a 15L pot, but I always have to start boiling the first part of the wort, while waiting for Sparge, as it takes to long to get the whole 6 or 7 litres boiling within 30mins of more ... This is with the biggest burner on the stove.

I have not used tins, I sort of ambled over from DME kits, to AllGrain ... as there is not a lot more work in getting an AG going

But I have a Belgian Blonde that tastes great, but still hasn't carbonated properly after 3 or 4 weeks ... so I am now worried about everything else I have bottled ... although I hit open a Whit yesterday that was carbed just fine after 3wks.... hence the keg query.

That makes a lot of sense

I feel your pain with the bottle carbonation. Getting pretty sick of wondering weather it's going to be carbed properly or not. Seems to be totally random even within the same bulk primed batch. go figure.

Latest posts

Back