• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

5kg Digital Scales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wee stu

wee stu's brury - hand made beers, award winning l
Reaction score
Good old Harris Scarfe's have got 5kg digital scales with 1g increments and tare facility on sale for $39.95, which seems like a not bad price to me (they claim a regual priceof $79.95).

The scales are made by Soehnle, a pretty reputable German brand - on sale until Tuesday 22 Feb.

I have no affiliation with harris Scarfe or Soehnle!

Adelaide Brewers, if someone wants a 2kg digital scale with tare and 1g increments, they can have my old one (bought two months ago) for $10, or nearest offer.

I bought a Soehnle 5kg digital scale with 2 gram increments from HS a few years ago.
It does not weigh the same every time. :angry:
It is covered under a 5 year warranty however but I am yet to take it back :(

I have since bought a new scale.

My new one will get a pretty severe testing this weekend (hopefully 3 brews in 3 days) if it doesn't work consistently it'll be on its way back to HS.

will be interested in your feedback wee stu. Currently using analogue scales which are a PITA, and so on the look out for some digital ones that will do a standard grain bill down to 1g increments.

So depending on how you go I'll either grab some from HS on Monday or go for some www.brayco.com.au

roach said:
on the look out for some digital ones that will do a standard grain bill down to 1g increments.

Jeez Roach your really are serious about working out your EXACT efficiency. Measuring your grain bill to 1gm ;) .

Cheers
MAH

that's it MAH if you want to do it right you may as well go the whole way. You are not one for taking short cuts are you MAH with brewing are you? ;)

How many grams in a Barossa handful anyway? :ph34r:

I bought the 100 gm with 0.01gm resolution scales from Brayco and was very happy with the service and the scales.

Was tempted to buy a set of the 5kg scales, but decided that they were a bit small. Eventually paid AU$74.95 via epal for a 15kg set with detachable front panel. This included the AU$24.95 shipping charges from Salt Lake City. They turned up within 8 days.

Utraship-30 (30lb) made by My Weigh, China. Take 4 C size cells. Weighs down to 1gm up to 5kg weight, over this the minimum increment is 5 gm. Cannot find the name of the trader, but have recently seen the same set on ebay from the same trader.

Purchased via ebay. Very happy with the service.

That price is unbeatable stu and it's a reliable brand but I notice that soenhle have been selling a few bargain basement scales lately (bought some very cheap bathroom scales by soehnle) and have shifted production to China.

When our old spring scales died it was easy to convince my wife to buy a good set of digital scales. Cost a little over $100. They weigh up to 5kg in 1g increments. Tare function is really good too.

Probably getting a little anal with the 1g increments but can be useful for small precise additions of hops. Good for measuring water too.

I saw this post, went out and am now the proud owner of a set of these scales. They even ship with a battery!

roach said:
will be interested in your feedback wee stu. Currently using analogue scales which are a PITA, and so on the look out for some digital ones that will do a standard grain bill down to 1g increments.

So depending on how you go I'll either grab some from HS on Monday or go for some www.brayco.com.au
[post="45553"][/post]​

Roach, I just added the final hop addition to today's brew and the HS scales seem to have worked fine.
Internally consistent, ie they measured the same weight for the same items repeatedly.
And their weights agreed consistently with my older digital scales.
Bowl supplied is not big enough for 5kg of grain, but that is another matter.

And yes, all my mini mates - this means wee stu is back on the bike :super:
Long way to pedal though - Belgium today, Dusseldorf tomorrow, London on Sunday - taking Monday off to recover!!

Good to see you're back, Stu! Taking Monday off is a bit soft though ;)

SteveSA said:
Good to see you're back, Stu! Taking Monday off is a bit soft though ;)
[post="45838"][/post]​

Maybe I'll stay in Oz on Monday and have a go at the paddle ;)

Thanks wee stu for the prompt feedback, i think i'll grab a set on my way home from work tonight and measure my grain bill and hopping(down to 1g accuracy just because i can B) )for tomorrow's brew day.

Good luck with your brewing. :super:

I certainly won't be contacting tdh, TDA or other certain Adel ahb members for my 'phone a friend'.

At least I have the t-shirt to prove that knowing JS history doesn't matter!! :p

Back