5kg Co2 Fire Extinguisher

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Renting a BOC VT cylinder is getting beyond a joke with $65.00 worth of gas & $154.00 a year to rent the cylinder, I'm over it! I scored an empty 5kg fire extinguisher cylinder today & am after the fitting that will screw into the cylinder so I can screw my Tesuco regulator onto it. Anyone done this previously care to point me in the right direction.
Cheers

like this ?

i got them from a enzed type place they are high pressure hydroloic type ones

i had to go thread XYZ to XYX ??? the guy just sorted it

DSCF5452.JPG

like this ?

i got them from a enzed type place they are high pressure hydroloic type ones

i had to go thread XYZ to XYX ??? the guy just sorted it

Thanks Maheel.
I just have the empty cylinder & nothing else. I was hoping I could buy something that would just screw into the extinguisher that's compatible with my regulator.
Cheers

do you mean put a "co2 HB " valve on the top ?

then a tank pressure certify person might be able to sort that

let us know if you can get that done

do you mean put a "co2 HB " valve on the top ?

then a tank pressure certify person might be able to sort that

let us know if you can get that done

That's what I am trying to get. The assembly that screws into the neck of the extinguisher with Australian thread so I can screw my Tesuco regulator onto it.

This bit that screws into the actual cylinder.

gas_cylinder.jpg

I have a couple of those extinguishers.Some are 1/2 inch bspp female threads to the cylinder and some are 1/4 inch.Don't know what thread you have on your regulator.
I got my fittings from flexible hose supplies at labrador,cheap as and beaut service so if you areup this way at all take your regulator there and they will fix you up.
Have a look at flexiblehosesupplies.com
just a happy customer.
wombil.

Crusty,

Ring these guys in Adelaide, very HB friendly, tell them what you have, and ask what you need, and where to get it.
Ceasefire @ Thebarton 0882342200

Tony

I have a couple of those extinguishers.Some are 1/2 inch bspp female threads to the cylinder and some are 1/4 inch.Don't know what thread you have on your regulator.
I got my fittings from flexible hose supplies at labrador,cheap as and beaut service so if you areup this way at all take your regulator there and they will fix you up.
Have a look at flexiblehosesupplies.com
just a happy customer.
wombil.

Will check them out.
Cheers

Crusty,

Ring these guys in Adelaide, very HB friendly, tell them what you have, and ask what you need, and where to get it.
Ceasefire @ Thebarton 0882342200

Tony

Will check these guys out too, thanks heaps guys.

was chatting to the guys at ceasefire last week re the screw down valves for extinguishers...

they don't have a source, so we're still stuck with the lever type valve as comes on the extinguisher...

i've been trawling hard to find a screw down valve supplier, but struggling,

this is the only place i can so far find... but still need to enquire with Ceasefire what the exact specs needed are

http://gascylindersuk.co.uk/pages/regulato...e-catalogue.php

was chatting to the guys at ceasefire last week re the screw down valves for extinguishers...

they don't have a source, so we're still stuck with the lever type valve as comes on the extinguisher...

i've been trawling hard to find a screw down valve supplier, but struggling,

this is the only place i can so far find... but still need to enquire with Ceasefire what the exact specs needed are

http://gascylindersuk.co.uk/pages/regulato...e-catalogue.php

It's becoming quite a bit harder than I thought opting for the cheaper way out. The only other option is to buy a cylinder out right but that's pretty expensive.

It's becoming quite a bit harder than I thought opting for the cheaper way out. The only other option is to buy a cylinder out right but that's pretty expensive.

Crusty,
Would you be unhappy with the trigger arrangement? Its a cheaper alternative.

Tony

Crusty,
Would you be unhappy with the trigger arrangement? Its a cheaper alternative.

Tony

Trying to stay away from the trigger. I had a mate who had that set up & his constantly leaked & after speaking to a few others with the same problem, the screw down option is the better one I think. The VT cylinder I have is great but the rental is a killer.

Before launching into buying fittings and stuff can you get the cylinder filled? No use having a flash cylinder without the ability to put C02 in it.

Drew

Before launching into buying fittings and stuff can you get the cylinder filled? No use having a flash cylinder without the ability to put C02 in it.

Drew

Yep. Was at the local Douse fire place today & that's who gave me the cylinder. He said I would just need to get the screw down fitting for it, come back & he'll pressure test it & fill it. If it fails the pressure test, he's got plenty more I can have with the same size thread. They actually use beverage CO2 for their fire extinguishers not the industrial CO2 that a lot of other extinguisher places use.

Hey Crusty,
I may be getting a couple of extinguishers in the next week or so, and i'm coming up your way to go camping on the long weekend
if i can get my hands on one with the correct fitting before then, i'll let you know
also, surely if it's in date and you've got the correct fitting, Grafton Home Brew would fill it for you (or Lismore)

Never had problems with the trigger on mine, btw (i just give it a quick squeeze when i need more gas, i don't leave it on)

Hey Crusty,
I may be getting a couple of extinguishers in the next week or so, and i'm coming up your way to go camping on the long weekend
if i can get my hands on one with the correct fitting before then, i'll let you know
also, surely if it's in date and you've got the correct fitting, Grafton Home Brew would fill it for you (or Lismore)

Never had problems with the trigger on mine, btw (i just give it a quick squeeze when i need more gas, i don't leave it on)

That would be great sp0rk.
Let us know if you can get one. I am pretty sure the thread is female parallel 3/4" bsp.
Douse fire will fill it no problem so just trying to find the correct screw down fitting with the right outlet thread for my Tesuco regulator.
Cheers

My regulator just screws straight on to the 2.6 and 5.0Kg extinguishers I have. No adapaters neccessary.
Extinguisher.jpg

My 2.6Kg had leaked (when not connected to anything) but they* replaced the poppet seal in it when they retested it. No leaks now.

*Ceasefire in Adelaide so not useful to you.

My regulator just screws straight on to the 2.6 and 5.0Kg extinguishers I have. No adapaters neccessary.
View attachment 57221

My 2.6Kg had leaked (when not connected to anything) but they* replaced the poppet seal in it when they retested it. No leaks now.

*Ceasefire in Adelaide so not useful to you.

Looks the goods but spoke to a couple of people this afternoon regarding the standard trigger & if you want to use it intermittently, they said no dramas but leaving it on as I want to do, it will more than likely be prone to leakage. I gas & serve @70-80kpa so my gas is pretty much on all the time except at night, I turn the bottle off. Keg King actually sell the screw down CO2 cylinder valve with RPV, 3/4" tapered thread, $20.00 + freight, pretty cheap, the exact ones they use on their cylinders. The problem I have is I am pretty sure my empty cylinder has a 3/4" parallel thread & an adapter is too risky with that pressure. I am going to head back to the fire extinguisher joint tomorrow & see if thay have any 5kg tapered thread models lying around.
How do I tell if mine is parallel or tapered thread.......................... :ph34r:

Pretty sure it will be BSPP.All the ones I have used are parralell.If you have the hose that comes out of it you should see if it is tapered or parallel.
I use mine like malted.Haven't had any leaks.

Pretty sure it will be BSPP.All the ones I have used are parralell.If you have the hose that comes out of it you should see if it is tapered or parallel.
I use mine like malted.Haven't had any leaks.

No hose unfortunately, just the empty cylinder.

Back