53 Liter Mash Tun/esky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i have decided to upgrade my AG setup so i can brew double batches,

i originally put together a small system to try AG to see if it was worth the extra work.

well now since i have been doing my AG brews i definitely wont go back to K&K, NOTHING AGAINST k&K i made some nice brews but after trying AG i am a convert.

so for my mash tun i have a 53 liter igloo esky, the type with the two wheels on that you pull along with a handle,
will this be big enough to mash in double batches and has anyone else used this esky,just wondering what temp you put the water in to get a 66 deg mash,
also does it hold the temp okay over the hour mash ,or do you put a cover around it.
cheers fergi,

i originally put together a small system to try AG to see if it was worth the extra work.

well now since i have been doing my AG brews i definitely wont go back to K&K, NOTHING AGAINST k&K i made some nice brews but after trying AG i am a convert.

so for my mash tun i have a 53 liter igloo esky, the type with the two wheels on that you pull along with a handle,
will this be big enough to mash in double batches and has anyone else used this esky,just wondering what temp you put the water in to get a 66 deg mash,
also does it hold the temp okay over the hour mash ,or do you put a cover around it.
cheers fergi,

I brew triples 5% beer and double 8% beer, I get 80% efficiency (so around 12 kg grain for a triple @ 5%), I have a 50 HLT, 50 MLT, 80 Kettle and do batch sparge and HERMS (if that makes a diff ?)

cheers fergi,

I haven't used that esky but the size is plenty big enough, if you had grain to liquor ratio of 3:1 10 kg would take up a little less than 40 litres of you space.

Don't know about that specific esky but;

my first tun was a 26 L and I regularly mashed 1060+ beers in it.

My current is 50 L and while my kettle is not capable of holding a double batch (max 45 L preboil) I have mashed a batch and a half (1060+ again) in it with loads of headspace and pushed it to capacity at a couple of swaps so I think you will find you can do doubles.

As for temp loss - boiling water, a thermometer and a stop watch will give you that info.

yes you can but I have filled my 70lt one with a double batch mainly as I done a step mash using just infusion so had to mash in low and by mash out I only had like less then 10lts to sparge with lol

Fergi ..

I am not sure about the 53lt esky but my 55l esky with wheels at one end .maybe similar and I have no problems smashing out a double batch and the temp does not drop off too fast but in saying that I do use a sleeping bag around it just in case... I am in the process of upgrading and look forward to keeping the old system I have for small batches ... a great mashing tun ... but pump a bit of insulation into the lid of the esky for shits and giggles ...

Matt

thanks for replies there guys, good to know it will do double batches,
i thought doing single batches would be fine but mates from my golf club like my beer so i need to make it quicker now.
fergi

Back