525SS or 545PC Taps for Kegerator with Triple Font?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carniebrew

Brewvy baby, brewvy!
Reaction score
I know, I know, another bloody tap debate. I've read so much over the last few weeks...too much to be honest, and I'm at the point where I just need to make a bloody call and be done with it. I could solve the whole issue by waiting for the 545SS taps, but even Perlick doesn't know (or won't say more likely) exactly when they'll be released. It looks like they were supposed to be late last year, but on Perlick's facebook page someone asked for an update back in August, and the response was "We're thinking it'll be the beginning of 2014". Of course I'm sure they'll become available 2 days after I choose between the 525SS and 545PC, right? :)

Anyway, just looking for some final advice from existing keggers out there. I'll have the Pinnacle/Keg King style kegerator, the one that holds 3 cornies. I plan on getting the heavy base/stainless 3-tap font. If it helps, I'm likely to rotate my kegs between 1) Kolsch or Pilsner, 2) Hefe and 3) APA or IPA. Initially I'll only have the one regulator, which I think is what leans me towards having flow control taps. Correct me please if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that with flow control taps, I can turn my reg up to the highest carb I want (say 2.7 for the hefe and pils), then turn down the flow control on the IPA to reduce the carbonation for that beer. Is that right? Or is flow control purely about balancing the system so the line lengths don't play such a big part?

Perhaps I could even look at getting some combination of 525SS and 545PC taps, would that solve any potential issues?

Flow control won't allow you to vary the carbonation levels between different taps sorry to say (you need mutistage regulators etc for that), but assuming you went down that path, it might make balancing easier if you ran a tap at low carbonation levels for one keg, and then switched to a higher serving pressure for the next.

My advice, go with the PC flow control now, buy SS flow control a couple of years down the track and avoid paying the new product premium. I really don't get the fuss about PC wearing out, in my experience, the chrome plating on these is really good quality, and I can't see mine wearing out any time in the foreseeable future.

TSMill said:
Flow control won't allow you to vary the carbonation levels between different taps sorry to say (you need mutistage regulators etc for that), but assuming you went down that path, it might make balancing easier if you ran a tap at low carbonation levels for one keg, and then switched to a higher serving pressure for the next.

My advice, go with the PC flow control now, buy SS flow control a couple of years down the track and avoid paying the new product premium. I really don't get the fuss about PC wearing out, in my experience, the chrome plating on these is really good quality, and I can't see mine wearing out any time in the foreseeable future.
Ok, thanks. So flow control only replaces the need for changing the length of your lines, i.e. balancing the system? I hear what you're saying with the ss vs chrome thing...surely a mob such as Perlick would be making high quality chrome taps that will last a long time. And good thinking on upgrading to stainless flow control once the price has come down. Cheers.

Yea the flow control is just more about line length. I have two 525SS and one 525 Flow control, no idea why i got the flow control one, will prob sell it and get another 525SS.

Oh and by the way your keg fridge wont hold three kegs unless they are the fully stainless tall and skinny type kegs, if you have the rubber base corny kegs theres no way you can squeeze 3 kegs in, false advertising imo.

Just get the 525SS's and be done, if you really dont want extra line in the fridge get the flow controls.

3 cornys fit in a KK Kegerator. It's tight, but they fit

I have a CraftBrewer keggerator with 525SS, hold 3 rubber feet kegs no problems, and the 525SS are great!

They bloody better. It's the "Euro Grand" I'm getting from Pinnacle, which looks the same as the ones from KK and CB etc.

I agree with Fents about the cornies with rubber bases. I couldn't fit 3 rubber-based kegs in one of these fridges. Although, the cornies without rubber bases would fit. Carnie, I don't have the flow control taps but have never had an issue dispensing a variety of beers with with the 525SS.

you folks know cornies aint cornies yeah? there's different diameter corny kegs.......................

Yeah I've seen there's different ones, pin lock v ball lock are different heights/widths. But all the guys I'm dealing with for my purchases are aware of the fridge I have, and that I want a 3-keg/3-tap setup, so I'm sure they understand what I'm after. But I will double check before placing the order.

The pinnacle ones hold 3 ball locks. Go the triple perlick flow control taps and font. You will be very happy.

Got my font and taps from from cheeky peak brewery.

Cube said:
The pinnacle ones hold 3 ball locks. Go the triple perlick flow control taps and font. You will be very happy. Got my font and taps from from cheeky peak brewery.
+1 for Cheeky Peak, good pricing and quick delivery, no association.

And yeah, go with the flow control and a metre of line, having 3 metres of line per tap is a nuisance in a tight fitting keg fridge.

One of my kegerators is a euro grand and I have never had any issues getting 3 rubber based ball lock cornies or firestone kegs in it.

djar007 said:
You are not talking keg king kegerator are you fents. Because they fit three cornies

mckenry said:
3 cornys fit in a KK Kegerator. It's tight, but they fit
Indeed i am talking about the KK fridge. Maybe i need to shrink my kegs somehow.

Off topic but does anyone else get some dribbles of water coming out of the fridge from under the white plate on the inside floor of the fridge?

Back