50ltr , or 19ltr Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lofty64

Reaction score
Hi all , just wondering if all you Brewers prefer 50ltr kegs or 19ltr Kegs . I was thinking 50ltr be better as less cleaning , but are very heavy , what's your thoughts please ?

Definitely 19L for me.

You can generally get 4 x 19L cornies into a standard household fridge/most commercial kegerators, whereas you’ll only get 1 x 50L.

It gives you more variety and much easier to move around.

JD

Personally I have both, but if I had to choose between them it would be the 19L (and smaller variants).

50L is useful for large parties, but as mentioned earlier it's big, awkward and heavy.

I am impressed by anyone who could a. Regularly consume a 50l keg before it starts to turn and b. Wouldn’t prefer to have some variety in what they drink.

I am impressed by anyone who could a. Regularly consume a 50l keg before it starts to turn and b. Wouldn’t prefer to have some variety in what they drink.
Keen to hear more on how long it takes for a beer to go bad? I have 19L kegs on my kegerator for many months with no issues as I assume others would too. I've actually never really thought about the "use by" of my home brew, so keen to hear more on it.

If you like to drink the same beer, then 50L would be the way to go for sure (pretty heavy though). If you like variety then 19" all the way.

I have both - the 50's are a PITA to move around and depending on what your set up is to dispense them yopur milage may vary - I am lucky enough to have a walk in coolroom to dispense the 50's from so I can shove them on a trolley and walk them into place. I almost have to psych myself up to lift them into the kegorator - The 19's are far less weight to lift around into a kegorator or keezer - no point in breaking yout balls trying to muscle a 50 into place in a keezer.

Back