50l Stockpot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockadays

Reaction score
Hi folks,,
Just came across a 50L s/steel stock pot that is heavy duty but it has quite a thick bottom probably around 10ml. Do you think that this will be harder to heat up with gas or no real problem? I may be able to get it cheap...Has anyone had expierence with these style pots as a boiler??

hockadays :blink:

Just came across a 50L s/steel stock pot that is heavy duty but it has quite a thick bottom probably around 10ml

10mm seems awefully thick for a stainless steel pot, it must weigh a ton. Are you sure it's s/s?
I don't know much about thermodynamics, but a 10mm base would hold the heat for quite some time I would think.

Andrew

I would think it would be perfect. The whole thick bottom thing is related to conductivity and hence better heat distribution (expensive saucepans have copper bottoms for this reason). I would think it would be less prone to scroching than the likes of a keg. Stainless is nasty for localising heat. There is a fair chance that the base may be a laminate of another more conductive meaterial like aluminium that has been plated to look shiny.

Just my thoguhts

Borret

Borret said:
I would think it would be less prone to scroching than the likes of a keg.

Just my thoguhts

Borret
[post="69749"][/post]​

I know there are a few different and unusual acronyms in brewing Borret has come up with a ripper "scroching" :blink:

methinks it is an acronym for "scrotum itching" :lol:

Good one Borret :D

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
methinks it is an acronym for "scrotum itching" :lol:

Good one Borret :D

C&B
TDA
[post="69759"][/post]​

Reminds me... Never grab 'em when you've been handling bleach. :lol:

Warren -

I don't think its aluminium as it was quite heavy. they had a 40L one as well with a normal base and it was way lighter but it was dinged up pretty bad. Ex catering supply..

Hockadays

hockadays said:
I don't think its aluminium as it was quite heavy. they had a 40L one as well with a normal base and it was way lighter but it was dinged up pretty bad. Ex catering supply..

Hockadays
[post="69812"][/post]​

Next best bet is that it may well have a copper base thathas been chromed to match the stainless. Either way it is a likely to be ideal, especially with gas, to even out hot spots. If it's a good price then I say go for it.
Although people have the impression that aluminium should be as light as balsa wood, a 10mm thick chunk of it on the bottom of a pot is still quite heavy.

Borret

edit weight

just did some figures and the base of the pot if aluminium (assuming a proportion about the size of a 50l cub keg) and 10mm thick would be 3.2 kg. So add that to teh weight of the pot and that would feel fairly heavy for an empty vessel.

Borret

heres a photo...second from the right...

stockpot.jpg

Borret said:
I would think it would be perfect. The whole thick bottom thing is related to conductivity and hence better heat distribution (expensive saucepans have copper bottoms for this reason). I would think it would be less prone to scroching than the likes of a keg. Stainless is nasty for localising heat. There is a fair chance that the base may be a laminate of another more conductive meaterial like aluminium that has been plated to look shiny.

Just my thoguhts

Borret
[post="69749"][/post]​

you're on the money Borret. My 70 litre ss stockpot (yet unused :( ) has a base around the thickness of the one hockadays mentions & is alumimium sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel. The sales pitch was better heat retention\distribution, etc. When I finally get going I should use less gas & get a quicker boil owing to the thick base on the boiler. :)

:beer:

Latest posts

Back