50l S/s Sanke Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
I kind of like the look of these actually, as a large fermenter. They may make a good project for a rainy day. If you could make an arrangement to fit a dip tube to syphon from/pick up the beer off the yeast cake it would be really nice. Push the beer out with CO2 or syphon (better to push though because 40L of beer is heavy). I like my taps on my plastic fermenters, hence the reason I would probably never go to glass carboys, and welding a tap in one of these with a sanitary weld would be mighty tough (impossible??) but they look pretty cool anyway. Though I'd post them here.

As an aside. A friend of mine ferments in glass carboys and has one of those plastic/rubbery carboy tops on which he has fitted a stainless diptube and another hose that he connects to his gas bottle. He then pushes his beer out of the carboy into a purged keg via some hose and a beverage in disconnect to the beverage in side of the keg. A bit pedantic and a bit of messing around but it actually works pretty well.

Sanke_corny_lid_fermenter.jpg

With a clear lid to see the goings on. I actually prefer this one.

Sanke_clear_lid.jpg

I quite like the look of the second one.
However if I was going down that path, I would just go conical.

Beers,
Doc

With a clear lid to see the goings on. I actually prefer this one.

sorry to bring up an old thread but doesnt anyone actually have a link to a site or article which explains how to do this?

Nope, but what more do you really need other than the pictures?

It's pretty self explanitory, what you see is what you get pretty much.

If you showed those pics to anyone that can wield a power tool they could build one for you.

Of course, only with legally obtained vessels :)

Cheers and good luck.

Nope, but what more do you really need other than the pictures?

It's pretty self explanitory, what you see is what you get pretty much.

If you showed those pics to anyone that can wield a power tool they could build one for you.

Of course, only with legally obtained vessels :)

Cheers and good luck.

your right it is self explanitory and i could knock it up, just thought I would read it if it existed thats all.

No worries. But I might suggest having a search over on the Brewboard forum or Brews and Views forums. You might find an article on it there but i didn't pick up the above photos from any real article. They were simply pictures I found while searching the net.

Cheers and good luck.
Justin

Would it be possible to convert these into a "not-quite-conical" I mean they have convex ends on both sides...if you could mount a ball valve in the middle and put it up on legs, would it work at all?
If required (or indeed if possible at all with that damn 5mm stainless) you could bang it out so it was more conical and less round...just a thought anyway

Sammus,

It would probably work ok. I know of some good quality second hand kegs (legal of course).
Anyone who is interested I can supply written letters of legality.

cheers

Darren

Back