50l Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks heaps mudsta

which mwthod do you think is easier for removing the circlip?

got my fridge yesterday!

everything else is on the way

cant wait al

Because of the thickness of the circlip, i would recommend the grind mark method.
I now personally only use this method. I found that with the circlip method the holes in the circlip over time become tapered. Thus inturn keeps popping out the circlip pliers and is a pain in the you know what.

Long story short, go the grind mark method. Only gota do it once to the keg and the circlip is easy to remove everytime. :D

Happy keggn

Mudsta :beerbang:

I just got the top of my 50L keg cut off and had the top of a postmix one connected, works great - just like a giant postmix keg :D

dear muga,

Wow!! sounds like a conversion a gota see.

Post up a pic if you can, would love to have a squiz. Did you do it your self?
Im not sure what the top of a post mix keg looks like, especially when fitted to a 50L keg. Did you remove the spear permanently?

Puzzled,
mudsta :beerbang:

I have a mate who works with stainless steel and got him to do the convert, it's such a neat job - suppose you get that when it's cut with a laser and welded with a machine..

It works great, the liquid tube from the postmix keg reaches right down the bottom so it finishes the keg down to the last drop, it's a must have for big batches!

Edit: Bloody thing was full of beer, almost did my back in lifting the *******!

keg_convert.jpg

now thats a keg! big, bold and easy clean.

nice one :beer:

Gees man that looks a treat!!! :D

Nice job all round. How come you went for that option than spear removal? Cause its never been done and cause you could?

Bugga about doin your back in liftin it.....You do know the only way to fix that problem.

MMMmmm 50L of kegged beer!! :beerbang:

I couldn't be stuffed having to keep taking the spear out and putting it back in each time you empty the keg, just seemed like a good option seeing I could get it done for next to nothing.

It came out looking a million bucks and works flawlessly, and it holds beer!

I must admit I've been considering a similar conversion, although I don't have access to anyone who can (or will) weld stainless for me in Melbourne.

So my thought was to just cut out the spearhead and leave a hole the same size as the one in a postmix keg, and then use a postmix keg lid in it (after fitting the relevent gas & liquid nipples)

Any thoughts? My only concern at the moment is that I won't have a positive locator lip for the lid - I'n not worried so much about the ensuing explosion, but it would be a shame to loose the brew :eek:

Andy

G day

Thats a top idea
you should make more and sell them
Ill have 2 thanks :beerbang:

Cheers Aspro

It was a bit of a one off, don't think my mate wants the big breweries knocking on his door asking for their kegs back.

The one I got converted didn't have any markings on it when I got it, so I don't know who originaly owned it, all I know is no one is getting it off me now!

Muga that is fantastic, with a legal keg from somewhere like Darren you wouldn't have any concerns at all.

GDay Guys, I have been frantically searching through the forums to find info on removing a "U" system coupling spear from a keg can anyone point me to some info on how to disingage the latch mechanism i have managed to make a tool to remove the first nut but thats as far as i can get im assuming its similar to other style kegs but would like to get some solid info on it before i tackle the task.
Cheers
Shane :chug: :chug: :chug:

Back