50l Keg Disassembly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausdb

Copper kettles don't kill people....
Reaction score
H this may sound like a dumb question to some but how do you pull the spear out of a 50L Swan/Tooheys keg? I just got 2 last night at the brew club meeting but forgot to ask how to pull them apart

I depressed the valve in the centre to realease the pressure and managed to unscrew the large flanged cap piece but although its loose I cant pull the spear assembly out, any tips?

use a pair of pliers push down on the oring then grab the centre disk & twist it to the right, it should then drop down. then unscrew the large flanged cap leaving spear to pull out.

Thanks Tank!!!!!!

It took a few goes to work out that you don't need to push the seal down all that far! I used a pair of long nose vice grips and pushed the rubber seal down about 1/4" and then locked the vice grips onto the spear. It was then quite easy to feel what angle you had to use to get the spear to rotate. The bayonet tabs dont all sit the same way.

To the other posters the sankey info is not relevant to the Swan/ Tooheys kegs I have, they use a Micro Matic type AS spear as per http://www.micro-matic.dk/micromatic/produ.../anstikker2.htm

Cheers and Beers :chug:

I just go straight for the angle grinder after depressuring :p get the spear out every time.

cheers people, this threat help me to get covered in gueness, i couldnt have done it with out you!!!!

and now im the owner or a 30L keg, which will become the boiler of my still.

cheers again fellas

Latest posts

Back