50l Braumeister

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyboybrybry

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a 50l Braumeister. Pros being uses very little space keeping the wife happy and will assist me to make better beer. Also I figure I may as well outlay money on something in one hit than continually buying bit by bit and everytime realising there is one more thing I need.
I have done one partial grain in a 19l pot I purchased and one AG in some borrowed equipment. I have consistently done k and k for 6 months and have played with steeping grains and dry hopping.
I have read through a few forums on the braus and have only seen really the one issue with one leaking that was replaced straight away.
I was looking at importing for the meagre saving of $300 but will probably be going with one of the sites sponsors after seeing the support they provide for people on this site.

So I am wondering simply has any one had any issues with the braus? As I stated I have read a lot of the related forums. I have seen that 1 leaked. One minor issue that was fixed straight away compared to many happy customers seems good.

PS Guys I know many of you can, have or are building your own braumisers. I do not have the skills required!

Let me start with I don't have a BM.... So take this how ever you want.
The only things I know about them is I've done one brew on the 50l one at MHB (cheers mark)
Aside from the leaking issue you mentioned I have heard one other report of an individual having intermittent issues with one of the pumps (hard problem to fault find & resolve due to the issue not being present all the time)

All that being said if I had the coin I'd be beating down marks door to snap one up. Purely of for the space saving and brew repeat ability benefits that plague me with my 3v system which I may add I had so much fun building and I would be sorry to see it go.

My 2c hope it helps.

Mine had the leaky weld on tap which was replaced with whole new machine. Also had an issue on new machine with pump when it got to mash out temps and had pump replaced. Couldnt be happier with it or service from site sponsors.

I think there were a few issues early on that the manufacturer has now dealt with.

If you have the cash go for it. I couldn't build something to save myself so went with this option

Doon,

I am the same. I think if I tried to build something apart from the costs involved with buying the tools and equipment to build it, it would still cost me more with the amount of times I would destroy parts trying to build it!

So you have had the only 2 braus with issues documented on AHB forums?

I did read in another forum that the older versions took a while to heat up but it appears that has been fixed with better elements now.

Yeah first one replaced. Second one it was brand of pump they had. When I rang g&g they knew exactly what issue was and just gave me a new pump. It doesn't miss a beat now

My pumps had issues. Were replaced no questions asked. New pumps are great.

I got an aftermarket tap to allow a quicker drain.

Otherwise, a great system. It will take you a few brews to really get the hang of it, but you won't look back!

They tell me at the monster brewery last year, the only system to be packed up and taken home before a brew was made was the BM.. Pump issues with wort squirting quite high...

I'd be bloody livid if I spent all that dosh and couldn't brew.

Is the beer produced from a BM actually better beer? I dunno about that

Yob said:
I don't think anyone but OP has ever made that claim.

OP is as OP does.

[EDIT: punctuation issues]

Yob said:
They tell me at the monster brewery last year, the only system to be packed up and taken home before a brew was made was the BM.. Pump issues with wort squirting quite high...

I'd be bloody livid if I spent all that dosh and couldn't brew.

If you have a stuck sparge on a cheap arse second hand garage sale esky, is it the esky's fault?

Don't think so, it's most probably your's for milling to fine or not adding enough rice hulls.

Same applies to the Braumeister, doesn't matter if you spend "all that dosh", you still gotta understand how to work that thing.

There are heaps of things wrong or improvable on the Braumeister, but throwing wort fountains isn't one of them, it's pure user error. No money in the world can protect you from that.

EDIT: grammar

Thanks Guys.

Mr No tip - I am thinking about the tap have seen that is an addition people have made.

Yob/Bum - yes it is my belief that the Brau will help me to brew better beer as it controls the mashing temps and timing for me. And it will move me away from k and k.

My apologies if you think k and k produces better beer.....................

Florian - have you made alterations or bought extra kit that has made it better?

Consistent is probably the better description for the beer it produces.

And I am not saying other systems arent consistent probably just easier to achieve it with the bm

Hey I still look at 3v bling systems and think I wouldnt mind one of them when i have more room.

I changed the tap on mine so I could use silicon hose with it and got the thermo wrap which I am not sure really helps that much!

I see no reason to change the tap, silicon hose slips straight onto the 50 L tap.

I have an older BM with cloth filters and find that some grist gets past these filters and creates problems with one of the pumps. I have had biased binding sewn around the outer edge and butchers twine inserted so that I can draw the edge tight around the SS strainer.

I also found that over time, the centre hole in this cloth filter becomes enlarged.

This enlarged hole in the center of the cloth filter allows the grain to slip into the pump as the pump goes into the break to re-position the malt. This is really apparent with the bottom filter cloth. I solved this by getting a SS kitchen sink strainer from Coles and drilling a hole in the center.

I hold this SS strainer in place with a 5 mm slice of silicon hose over the original SS strainer plates center tube.

I dropped an impeller onto the concrete floor of my shed, it broke a couple of vanes and while it still worked, I replaced it. Impellers do not like being dropped! I clean the pumps and brush the tap through after each brew. I find that Napisan is a really good cleaner for the heating elements and inside the BM. Just make sure that you thoroughly rinse out everything after using it.

Halo a trade named product for cleaning SS from Godfreys here in SA is brilliant for cleaning outside, and Bar Keepers Friend (from USA) is brilliant for cleaning the copper dome lid, this is difficult to find, David Jones kitchen dept. sometimes has it, but I get mine on the web now.

I use an infrared thermometer (Jaycar) to check the immersion chilling temperatures, I aim this at the pumps on the theory that they remain the hottest part in the cooling process.

You do need a 15 amp circuit for the 50 L as it draws just over 14 amps when powered up. 15 amp extensions from Bunnings should be looked at carefully, the first one that I bought (15 amp) was a lot lighter than the replacement one (also 15 amp) I bought a couple of weeks ago. The first one was heating up and the plastic plugs were going out of shape.

I attended an auction where they were clearing out a restaurant and won a really heavy duty SS commercial "tea" trolley and use this to move my BM around. I have a ceiling fan, and a 240 volt winch (eBay $100??) I finish my sparge using the upturned lid of the BM over a large SS pot. So the winch really helps in these processes.

After 30 odd brews, I am very happy with my BM. :D

I bought a cheap camp/yoga rubber mat from Cheap as chips and made a thermo blanket, I think that it helps if you brew with an open doorway, and cool wind/breeze lowers the ambient temp.

Zoigl,

Awesome - I am pretty sure they have upgraded the filters from cloth now so hopefully that wont be a problem. Your cleaning suggestions are awesome.
I wont be getting the copper lid - as it is I really cant afford the braumeister (probably really never could there is always something coming up) so I am sacrificing travelling to friends birthdays interstate for this. I am sure they will understand when they do not have to pay for top quality beer when they come for my birthday.
The copper lid seems to have little but aesthetic purpose asides from being a malt funnel. Think I can ghetto me a funnel.
I am hoping my electrician brother in law will install a 15amp power point for me. I might get an extension though as I will want to brew inside as well as outside occasionally i think.
I have my awesome $10 sleeping bag that I got for my very limited foray into BIAB for insulation.

I think it is good that the only people that have bad things to say about the brau are the people that don't have one :blink:
The fact that the few people that have had problems are still super happy is a massive positive.
I am itching to go spend me some money on some SS automated beer bling.

Only problem I ever had was the wort shooting out against the ceiling while mashing. My grainbill was very light and I had not mixed it very well when mashing in so there were dough balls and channelling. This happened twice, now I spend 2 extra minutes mixing the mash.

What else? Oh yes, I once cut my hand against the sharp edge on the leg.

Couldn't be happier. My BM is my baby and I love her to bits...

Yeah I had wort shoot once on a light grain bill. Havent had it happen since

sillyboybrybry said:
Thanks Guys. Mr No tip - I am thinking about the tap have seen that is an addition people have made. Yob/Bum - yes it is my belief that the Brau will help me to brew better beer as it controls the mashing temps and timing for me. And it will move me away from k and k. My apologies if you think k and k produces better beer..................... Florian - have you made alterations or bought extra kit that has made it better?
Many types of systems control mash temperatures with multiple techniques without throwing vast sums of money to do so, it's just as easy to Cock up a kit on the cold side as it is a mash brew on the cold side.. also without purchasing expensive equipment or sacrificing events with friends..

I don't believe anybody but you has compared apples with peaches,

Not saying you shouldn't get one, just saying that don't think JUST because you get one amazing beer will be produced, there are many processes and other factors that can still affect the resultant.

Yeah I still manage to stuff my beers up on occasion. So while they are probably amazing coming from BM there are many things past that point which can make you think otherwise

Yob said:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/71507-new-3v-herms-or-braumeister-setup-feasibility/?p=1016761

Link to other thread with related comments

Sorry, can't make it a prosper link on the phone
I could see nothing relevant in the other link. Just people talking about 3v systems which I do not have room for. Trust me If I had the room I would go for it.
I do appreciate your enthusiasm for the cheaper 3v system. I would probably have to leave my wife and move into a bigger place to get one. At much greater cost!

Yob said:
I don't believe anybody but you has compared apples with peaches,

I don't think I was putting up any comparisons at all. I was just asking if anyone had any issues with their brau.

The only mention of other systems was to stipulate that I can not build my own. Cudos to those that can I admire them.
Probably should have also mentioned that I will be lugging it up and down stairs.

Back