5 Minute Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
hi,

just tasted a beer i made after forced carbonating it for 30hrs....anyway i had a problem with this beer after the mashing and it only boiled for 5mins or so and my urn cut out, it was around midnight and i couldnt be bothered so i cubed it with 12g of nelson sav and 12g of Amirillo and cleaned up.

I wasnt sure if it would be ok but i had 1.040 SG and had a rough brew night ( nutting out my system ) this same beer i fermented with Safale US-05 and cold conditioned for a couple of weeks.

The beer was supposed to be a james squire clone, using 65% pilsner & 35% wheat. The beer tastes ok, watery if anything, not hoppy nor bitter for obvious reasons but should i be concerned about the no boil, well 5 mins boil as opposed to the normal 60-90 min??

Dan

I wouldn't be in a hurry to repeat it if that's what you're asking.

Wort boiling fulfils a great number of functions that make beer what it is. Boiling bacteria/spoilage organisms and isomerising alpha acids are two of them. There are many more.

You probably would have been better off re-boiling it after you got your kettle sorted. If it didn't get infected and start fermenting in the cube, then I'd say your 5 min boil was at least sufficient to pasteurize it (having some hops in there no doubt helped as a preservative too). You could've kept it until such time as you were ready to boil it properly.

Unless of course you were just desperate for beer :D

maybe dry hop the keg in a teabag / ss ball

if it tastes ok i reckon drink it :)

Manticle, won't be doing that again as I've read that the boil is important. side note.....just ordered a BM today and won't have the issues I've had when using wheat that I have with my urn.

Squirt, reboiling should of been the right option the next day and it didn't dawn on me when I was trying to figure out what to do late at night. Mental note for future brewing.

Maheel, I thought maybe dry hopping tonight to try and give it a little taste, what would you suggest?

Some 8 -10 weeks ago or more I did an experimental no boil beer. [Spoiler I took about 5% aside and boiled with hops for about 10 minutes. I added the unboiled wort and cooled rapidly using a whirlpool and immersion chiller method along the lines of Mr Malty]
Using standard methods (variation in yeast/fermentation profile/post fermentation/carbonation/bottle geomtry whatever) I produced two beers, side by side the taste difference was, frankly, subjective.
It managed a silver in both cats (Belgian and Belg specialty) at our Sta e Comp and narrowly missed out on the Nats.
I have kept a good proportion aside, off the yeast, unconditioned etc without no temperature control (until I judge it fit).
A test sample last week (straight from the decanted fermentor, secondary if you will), assessed by highly competent judges showed no signs at all of infection/souring/lactic, the floral ester (picked as orange oil by a highly competent judge at the ACT) was still there (I get geranium/frangipani blend, my co got rose/rosewater). My co declared that this beer was the reason why you don't make no-boil beers, and he is correct and it something that I do not reccomend even if your sanitation is up to scratch..though mine is another story....
As an aside ..actually a very important aside...the WST sample showed no activity after 7 days but shortly thereafter exploded, two possibilities for this that spring to mind are that the "good yeast" got in and cahnged the wort profile such that the bad shit had no chance, or perhaps something got in when I opened the jar for a smell test after 4 or 5 days.

K

Some 8 -10 weeks ago or more I did an experimental no boil beer.

Thats a pretty good experiment. What kind of max temperature did the mash get to? I always thought the lacto in the grain survived pretty well since if I leave the spent grain lying around it gets sour and stinky very quickly.

Thats a pretty good experiment. What kind of max temperature did the mash get to? I always thought the lacto in the grain survived pretty well since if I leave the spent grain lying around it gets sour and stinky very quickly.

mshed at 63C for 60 odd minutes (RIMS), increased to 70C and held for runoff (no sparge) intention was to hold at 70C for 4 hours but time screwd up so took a risk and covered in gladrap and refridgerated for 18 hours, bought slowly up to 70C held for a few hours, took 5% off and boiled with the water I would have added (low Bigness better utilisation) started whirlpool cool added bulk at 70C (about 5 minutes in my system) chilled to 20ish, ran off cone.

K

Some 8 -10 weeks ago or more I did an experimental no boil beer. [Spoiler I took about 5% aside and boiled with hops for about 10 minutes. I added the unboiled wort and cooled rapidly using a whirlpool and immersion chiller method along the lines of Mr Malty]
Using standard methods (variation in yeast/fermentation profile/post fermentation/carbonation/bottle geomtry whatever) I produced two beers, side by side the taste difference was, frankly, subjective.
It managed a silver in both cats (Belgian and Belg specialty) at our Sta e Comp and narrowly missed out on the Nats.
I have kept a good proportion aside, off the yeast, unconditioned etc without no temperature control (until I judge it fit).
A test sample last week (straight from the decanted fermentor, secondary if you will), assessed by highly competent judges showed no signs at all of infection/souring/lactic, the floral ester (picked as orange oil by a highly competent judge at the ACT) was still there (I get geranium/frangipani blend, my co got rose/rosewater). My co declared that this beer was the reason why you don't make no-boil beers, and he is correct and it something that I do not reccomend even if your sanitation is up to scratch..though mine is another story....
As an aside ..actually a very important aside...the WST sample showed no activity after 7 days but shortly thereafter exploded, two possibilities for this that spring to mind are that the "good yeast" got in and cahnged the wort profile such that the bad shit had no chance, or perhaps something got in when I opened the jar for a smell test after 4 or 5 days.

K

Dr K - can ypou explain a little better what you did? I can't work out exactly what you did.

You made two beers that were not boiled and then refer to it as "it". Then you left a part of it for a lambic?

Your findings were that beer doesn't need boiling, as both were subjectively the same? I'm really interested in this but can't make head or tail of your post.

Dr K - can ypou explain a little better what you did? I can't work out exactly what you did.

You made two beers that were not boiled and then refer to it as "it". Then you left a part of it for a lambic?

Your findings were that beer doesn't need boiling, as both were subjectively the same? I'm really interested in this but can't make head or tail of your post.

One batch, two beers treated differently after cooling.
Anything but a lambic, there were no wild yeast and the beer(s) is (are) clean

A beer does need boiling, this experiment did not.

K

Very interesting K, should have put some of the wort on a culture plate and see what grew up (if anything)......

Top stuff dr k, thanks for the info. After trying a couple of these beers it actually tastes unboiled, no real mouthfeel, for me anyway. Not sure if I should dump it or dry hop it for a few days....

Top stuff dr k, thanks for the info. After trying a couple of these beers it actually tastes unboiled, no real mouthfeel, for me anyway. Not sure if I should dump it or dry hop it for a few days....

Latest posts

Back