48 Litre Urn For $200 - Any Feedback?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjim

Reaction score
I've been looking at electric HLT's recently. Came across these on ebay.

48 litres @2400W for $200, seem pretty cheap in comparison, which scares me only slightly more than it excites me. Anyone had any experience with these? Apologies if these have been posted on before, couldn't find anything.

Cheers.

Mate that looks pretty good especially with free shipping... i've never seen 48L urns before. Only concern would be the concealed element. Also make sure they can keep a rolling boil not just a 90-95 then cut out like some tea urns do.

Have a search for urn mods around here... i know some are happy with concealed elements and others prefer exposed.

Did you see the basket?

Wow.

Its actually designed for cooking crabs I guess.

Wonder if it can boil wort?

Looks like the makings of RoboBIAB :)

I think you can only set the temperature in 20C increments

Cheers argon, might see if I can pry some info from the seller about a rolling boil. If they're passing it off as a crab cooker you'd kinda hope it would.

I'm only looking for a HLT (no boil) but it would be nice to have the option up my sleeve should the need arise.

I think you can only set the temperature in 20C increments

Yeah I noticed that too. I'd probably be hanging a temperature controller off of it regardless and just cranking it up flat out.

Still, that means your $200 urn is now somewhere around the $260 mark, although I'd probably still do the same with a Birko or the like, for accuracy purposes.

Cheers argon, might see if I can pry some info from the seller about a rolling boil. If they're passing it off as a crab cooker you'd kinda hope it would.

I'm only looking for a HLT (no boil) but it would be nice to have the option up my sleeve should the need arise.

Oh what a waste, oh the humanity :eek: :eek:

Wish I had seen this before I bought my second Crown 40L. Mighty looking tap as well. Of course the thing is how robust and reliable and whether it can clock up a hundred brews like a Birko or Crown.
If it is a robust unit then I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who purchases one of these for BIAB as they would be the nuts of the dux.

I bought a 30L from the same ebay guy last year for $70 delivered and it lasted just short of a year before the main element (2200W?) exploded.
It has served its purpose and still limping along on the smaller secondary element (200W?) but takes twice as long as it used to. The value of an element vs the cost of the urn makes it a repair by replacement job.
I have to admit that these look slightly different cosmetically ie two lamps instead of one that goes from green to red but expect it to have the same elements.

This is one of the threads I found of others experience with the one like mine Is This Urn Any Good?

Heyho,
I've been using one of the 30 litre units for over a year now as a HLT and for BIAB.
More than happy and has not missed a beat in ~ 40 brew days.

I've just taken delivery of one of the 48 litre units, same lightweight build quality but with an electronic thermostat.
The (scary) electronics are all roughly contained in the base of the unit.
I have removed the components and cables etc replaced them with a PID unit (another E-bay special) and a 'decent' thermocouple rather than risk the inevitable ('where's that smoke coming from') brew day failure.

Hope this helps.

Harry

Yeah, I have one of the 30 litre units too. Perhaps I have been lucky, but it is still going strong 12 months on.

Will be passing it on to a young padawan soon enough, building a HLT currently.

But in all honesty, I can only say that mine works a treat. I've also heard some not so good stories.

A case of pot luck?

Heyho,
I've been using one of the 30 litre units for over a year now as a HLT and for BIAB.
More than happy and has not missed a beat in ~ 40 brew days.

I've just taken delivery of one of the 48 litre units, same lightweight build quality but with an electronic thermostat.
The (scary) electronics are all roughly contained in the base of the unit.
I have removed the components and cables etc replaced them with a PID unit (another E-bay special) and a 'decent' thermocouple rather than risk the inevitable ('where's that smoke coming from') brew day failure.

Hope this helps.

Harry

How much was the PID? How easy/difficult was it to install? Pics?

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Thanks guys, had a look through the previous thread beersatan linked, gotta say I'm not surprised.

Like everything, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you bomb, sometimes you get lucky. It's been a toss up between making my own kettle or just shelling out for an urn.

Harry Volting (gotta be a sparky with a name like that), I see you've gutted one of the 48 litre units. Are they are dual element setup as well? I'm planning on using a shoe box plc in my rig, any PID loop issues that you came across with your setup?

PID was about $30.00 Sure Electronics CD101. I have an Electrical trade background so the retrofit was (fairly) straightforward.
Unless you are completely comfortable with control wiring etc it would be wise to find a sparky who likes home brew.
The unit controls a Solid State Relay.
The urn has 2 elements. 1800 watt outer and a 600watt inner. I have disabled the 600 watt inner element to make the load a little more manageable. I don't need a rolling boil.
The urn is being used as a mash tun and I will continue to use the 30 litre unit as a kettle.
BTW I've replaced the crappy tap with some of Mr Bunnings finest brassware. The tap handle will have a tendency to catch on your clothing as you walk past the urn. Not fun.

Harry

BTW I've replaced the crappy tap with some of Mr Bunnings finest brassware. The tap handle will have a tendency to catch on your clothing as you walk past the urn. Not fun

Should have used SS

:)

Yeah, I'd love to have everything stainless (I'd drive a Delorean if I could) but I'm happy with John Palmer's brass peroxide/vinegar pickle solution for the lead removal and 2 million Californians couldn't be wrong (could they?) ;)

Superjim, I haven't run the unit yet. I'll let you know how the loop tuning goes.

Harry

I also had one of the 30 litre versions of this urn and mine broke.
Sent it back and got a new one which broke two brews later :D

I gave in and bought a Birko and haven't had issues since.
But I am sure most of them are good, even though the quality seems far worse than the Birko I use now.

48 litres sounds nicer than 40, I agree.
But a 40 litre "real" Birko costs $252 at Allquip in Sydney and is guaranteed to last while here you pay $200 and hope it doesn't break?

Just my 2c of course after being burned twice with a similar thing,

Bjorn

Thanks Guys, I think I will be skipping one of these...

Bjorn, did you still have yours by chance?

But I am sure most of them are good, even though the quality seems far worse than the Birko I use now.

But a 40 litre "real" Birko costs $252 at Allquip in Sydney and is guaranteed to last while here you pay $200 and hope it doesn't break?

Bjorn

Bjorn

old thread here

i almost brought one of these 48l urns last night and i thought i would search on here first. now i am not so sure, contemplating whether to spend the $$ on the $200 urn with free postage or spend the extra $80 on the birko with postage.. thought it looked to good to be true.

p.s if i had to change the tap on this how hard would it be.. keep in mind i have welded once in my life and do not posses a welder.

Back