45 L Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewills

Reaction score
and old landlord gave me a keg he found in one of his rented house.. he used to rent it to university student.. i was telling him about a keg set up and he said he can give me a keg he found.. nobody came to pick it up since the last student left 2 months ago.. it looks pretty new.. i think it is the large 45 L kegs you see in bars...

my question is .. do these kegs have a different fitting to the cornilius kegs? are the fittings hard or expensive to get? the only thing on the keg is seal that says doe not open because the keg is under pressure.. i don' t see any connections to it..

any help will be appreiciated.

Well it's right, dont open it until you can degas it. What is the make on the keg? is it lion nathan/tooheys, ie. a tall narrow keg, or a cub/powers keg which is short and fat. This will determine how you open the top. But you dont even need to do that. If you get the right keg tap (should be sub $100 with fittings) then you can remove the flow valve and fill your kegs the reverse to how you would empty them.

just need to make sure u have a fridge big enuf to fit the keg. Couplers for the pub kegs occassionally pop up on ebay.

personally i would use the keg as a boiler for when you go AG, as they are hard enuf to come by at the best of times. plus the corny kegs with their smaller footprint enable u to fit more than 1 in a fridge and thus u can have a variety of brews on tap

cheers
roach

Hi!

it is a tooheys one.. and the guy from the hbs here reckons it is the sydney ones.. it is short and fat.... i was just wondering how i can clean the keg when i need to...

and can anybody be a little precise on what i have to get cause i am fairly new to the kegging stuff.. thanks

hi stewills
it will take a bit of jigging but once you have the tooheys coupling set it up so you can get water and some keg cleaner into the gas inlet.have it on a stand or whatever upside down and fill through the gas line and when fairly full start the shake and whatever to agitate it.then push the lever down when upside down and let it flow out.do this a few times and you should now have a relatively clean keg.
fill through the gas inlet side as well (upside down )to reduce agitation/frothing of the beer.

cheers
big d

Latest posts

Back