44 For Grain Storage/silo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
Thinking of turning a 44 gal drum into grain storage and fashion a small slide hatch to dispense grain when needed. After the local rodents decided my plastic grain bins were fair target, the gloves have come off. Figure I can grab a few bags of my favourite grain at bulk buy time and toss it all in the 44. Anyone done this and if so can you share some pics?

I use slightly smaller plastic (ex olive) barrels, I put the grain inside them in heavy-duty plastic bags. You could do the same with the steel barrel keeping the rodents out and the plastic-bin-bags keeping the grain fresh.

Do a search for "Rat Zapper" on the net.
Lets face it, with all the C02 we produce from our airlocks, there is noticeable shortage of cats. ;)

I have some food grade 44's but they just have a lift off top. Also use the olive barrels ect.

You may be able to source the 44's from somewhere, they have a red epoxy type lining.

fermenters1.jpg

Sorry, that's the best picture i have of them. (i was using them as fermenters to make peach wine).

They hadn't managed to get through because I noticed their efforts early on and launched my counter offensive, but the black lids of the bunnings green plastic rubbish bins is where they tried to get in. Had one in my shed with beer grains and one near chook pen with cracked corn in it. I'm not sure how many sacks of grain i can fit into a 44 but i'd be guessing 5 or 6. I scored a 44 from local bru4u then swapped it with my mates 44 that has a full size clamp on lid. Off to do some work on the hatch.

I've had rats chew holes right through those 20L white plastic food grade buckets to get to chook feed inside. I had to start storing it in steel rubbish bins to keep them out.

44grainsilo_002.jpg 44grainsilo_004.jpg 44grainsilo_001.jpgProgress was halted after i lost the fight between me and a 4" angle grinder fitted with a cut off wheel. After a visit to Royal Brisbane back home to finish project with file and left hand. Good thing i keep a few l/h files. anyways should hold 120kg of grain. here's a few pics.

View attachment 55420 View attachment 55422 View attachment 55421Progress was halted after i lost the fight between me and a 4" angle grinder fitted with a cut off wheel. After a visit to Royal Brisbane back home to finish project with file and left hand. Good thing i keep a few l/h files. anyways should hold 120kg of grain. here's a few pics.

Damn!!!! Mate yer need two hands for alot of brewing activites, and some other rather important ones, hope all heals well. ;)

That's a lot of grain. What stops the bugs getting in there, seems to have a small gap for them to crawl into.

QldKev

Back