40l crown urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugdog1

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a better price for a 40l crown urn with concealed element, lhb shop does it for 275 done a bit of hunting on Google with not much luck.

Cheers

Sorry I can't help on price but if you go the crown urn, then it is an absolute MUST that you confirm it has the 150 deg cut off switch or do the upgrade yourself.

U-6205-150

Boil dry cut-out 150°c (suits HW40T & HW40TC)

$15.35

http://crownindustries.com.au/spares.php

Take it from a guy who wasn't told this and bypassed the but out switch and fried the element.

It's a bit cheaper to buy the $15 dollar cut out upgrade than it is to buy the $15 dollar cut out upgrade AND a new element

HU032

Element - Thermostat type U-4379 Suits HW20T, HW30T & HW40T

$60.75

Not to mention the batch of wort I spent close to 5 hours making that tasted like scorched, tortured, devastated SOUL, I mean burnt.....

I did read your post on that and that was the first question I asked to lhbs he said the ones they stock all have that in so hopefully he has looked at specs and is right. I will definitely check when I purchase one though.

Thanks for looking out for me though nothing worse then wasted money. Besides wasted beer that is

Pugdog1 said:
Hey everyone.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a better price for a 40l crown urn with concealed element, lhb shop does it for 275 done a bit of hunting on Google with not much luck.

Cheers
That appears to be about right.
Go for it, great bit of kit.

Alright thanks. Looks like a good urn so I'm happy to fork out for it just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a deal somewhere

Pugdog1 said:
I asked to lhbs he said the ones they stock all have that in so hopefully he has looked at specs and is right. I will definitely check when I purchase one though.
Highly unlikely to have the higher cut off as standard.

I think it varies from urn to urn, but mine has so far not required that upgrade. I've found that keeping the element cover very clean helps. The Crown 40L urn is a lovely piece of kit either way.

stm said:
Highly unlikely to have the higher cut off as standard.

I think it varies from urn to urn, but mine has so far not required that upgrade. I've found that keeping the element cover very clean helps. The Crown 40L urn is a lovely piece of kit either way.
If the LHBS is supplying what they should then it will.
Craftbrewer and National Home Brew and more sell them.

Can't speak for anyone else, but correct, ours are already done to the higher spec's.

Not available for a couple of weeks I believe. We've been sold out for near a week and there's a supply chain glitch waiting on parts apparently. Should be back up in a week or 2 was last we heard.

Martin

I have one which cuts out almost every brew, the only ones that don't are the low gravity beers. I think I'll get one of those cut out switches, I always have to do a scrape with the big plastic spoon to get it going again. I keep my urn spotless. Cheers for the info.

Towns lhbs is pretty busy as it's the only one left in town plus they only started stocking them not long ago, at least having them on display that is and they use it for a demo every 3rd Saturday of the month (never my day off haha) and they haven't lied to me yet about anything else I have bought so once I have the $$ unless someone brings up a better deal I'll probably head on down and pick one up.

On the cleanliness note always a good tip, love to keep all my stainless clean though regardless of efficiency or sanitation as it looks better and swmbo keeps of my back about all the equipment I buy .

If it doesn't work I can alway take it back and do a trip to Brissy for one from craftbrewer

I cooked my element about two years ago, I paid about $8 for the upgraded cut off switch.

I gave this same warning to Crooked Fingers on a brew day once and when he looked into it they had bumped the price up to $15.

It's highly likely that due to home brewers going full tilt on the urns they have bumped up the price to cash in..

I would definately ask the question of the LHBS as I originally bought my urn from G&G and it didn't have the upgrade, obviously no warranty cause Captain re-wire himself thought he was a hero.

indica86 said:
If the LHBS is supplying what they should then it will.
Craftbrewer and National Home Brew and more sell them.
Does the cut off switch have the part number written on it, so I can check which one I actually have?

stm said:
Does the cut off switch have the part number written on it, so I can check which one I actually have?
Bumping this question. Going to buy one tomorrow morning and the LHBS was not sure of their cut off over the phone.

Can I ask, does one need the strainer insert for the concealed element?

Would this be of benefit whereby the grain bag would be lifted from the element and prevent possible scorching of the bag?

panzerd18 said:
Can I ask, does one need the strainer insert for the concealed element?

Would this be of benefit whereby the grain bag would be lifted from the element and prevent possible scorching of the bag?
It's a good idea to have a gap around 5cm between the bag and the element so there's a good buffer zone from the element heat. Stops scorching of the bag from happening.

Hope this helps.

No part number .
(Scorching is from when I bypassed the cut off and killed the element

1418636176426.jpg

Back